furnace adjacent to garage...Kaboom?

71 year old home with basement and crawlspace configuration.

Gas Water heater and gas Furnace are in the baseement portion (approximatelty 10’ x 10’ x 5’ high)

The stairway door from the basement opens to the garage (see photo). It is a single panel wood door (not rated for 20 minutes) and the door frame is missing trim on the inside of the garage.
The wall between the basement and crawl/basement is fully finished with no voids except around the door frame.

**Should the furnace and water heater treated as if they were in the garage and be raised off the basement floor?

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5486.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG

Yes, those appliances in adjacent rooms are subject to the 18" rule.

Would this also be the case with a gas fired clothes dryer that is in the garage?

Spark producing units in garage should be elevated 18" due to possible gasoline vapors but this does not apply to basements. Anyone have any codes that state otherwise?

Yes, try:
2003 IRC M1307.3 Elevation of ignition source. Appliances having an ignition source shall be elevated such that the source of ignition is not less than 18 inches (457mm) above the floor in garages. For the purpose of this section, rooms or spaces that are not part of the living space of a dwelling and that communicate with a private garage through openings shall be considered to be part of the garage.

Thanks Michael…

On a furnace if it is an upflow (gas or electric) its burners or elements are typically already 18" above the floor. When we talk about communicating with the garage area - we’re typically talking about a closet or room off the garage floor or something similar - not stepping down into a basement from a garage floor that may be 4’-6 feet below it.

Why not if gasoline vapors seek the lowest point, and the basement is lower than the garage?

Also, the point about the heater burner being 18" above the floor is well taken.

But in this case there is also a water heater in there that is not 18" above.

I didn’t talk about a water heater. You’re right, if it was in the garage - today the burners or ignition source (element, etc) should be 18" or more off floor per any code I’m aware of and mfg installation recommendations.

In a basement not part of a garage - no, not required anywhere I’ve ever inspected - Texas, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, Tennessee.

Maybe no one enforces it but "rooms or spaces that are not part of the living space of a dwelling and that communicate with a private garage through openings shall be considered to be part of the garage" would seem to me to include the above scenario.

Agreed. No fire door, it’s just a closet in the garage!

The key word is “Living Space” IRC 2003 Definition: Space within a dwelling unit utilized for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, bathing, washing and sanitation purposes.

From the picture shown it does not look like meeting the definition of a living space, so how could this basement area be not part of the garage.