Furnace/water heater room door

Is there a code requirement for the type of door required for a utility closet housing a gas furnace and water heater? The afternoon inspection of new construction (under construction) had them in an upstairs hall. Any help would be appreciated.
Stu

I just checked my Code Check and do not see any mention of material just clearances.

Dick

Thanks. I checked through the IRC and couldn’t find anything either, but sometimes I don’t look in the right place. Not that I quote code. No siree.
Stu

the gas company removed the solid door off of the closet that contained mine in the basement and said it had to be louvered…so i guess that is how they feel about it here…my wife is still waiting for me to hang that door…it is in the corner of the closet though…it’s only been a few years…

There are louver requirements, both high and low, based on the size of the unit(s) contained if they have atmospheric burners. These need not necessarily be in the door proper, since they could be in a wall, and may not be required if the units bring in outside combustion air.

Sometimes both the high and low makeup air vents are brought in through the ceiling also.
One pipe within 12" of the floor and another within 12" of the ceiling.

We figure the equivalent of one square inch per every 1,000 BTU input of the appliance(s) for each vent.

One thing to check on with the ceiling intakes though is to make sure they are above the insulation in the attic because sometime people add more insulation covering them up.

He stated basement guys

new cons. upstairs closet.:smiley:

sorry charlie, starkiss wants tuna that taste good:D

Sorry Charley story of my life. did not see the first two post:(

From my very limited experience, it is my understanding that the only requirement that would affect the door would be;

1.   Insufficient combustion air – Need outside air or a full louvered door or a standard door with high and low vents.

2.   Insufficient clearance – need metal door or fireproof door to reduce clearance requirements.

3.   Some furnaces allowed off sleeping areas with outside air and solid sealed fireproof door. Apparently not applicable is this instance.

I’m new to this so please everyone correct me if this is wrong.

I’d like to thank everyone for the responses. This closet had two sources of combustion air-one vent within 12 inches of the ceiling, and one within 12 inches of the floor. (plus the wall access into the attic had no panel) So, the amount of venting wasn’t the reason for my query. The doors were the hollow core, spring latching bedroom closet type. For some reason, and I could’nt find a reference either, I thought they were supposed to be fire resistant, sealed units. Thanks again.
Stu