Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Inspecting HVAC Systems

Notices

Inspecting HVAC Systems Topics include heating, venting, and air conditioning inspections.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4/19/10, 10:37 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default gas furnace water

I have inspected many regular gas furnaces and also many condensing furnaces but this is a first for me. On a vacant new house with a regular gas furnace, 60 degrees inside and about 60 degrees outside this morning, I turned on the furnace and after just a minute or so condensate water was pouring out of the A/C condensate pipe where it terminates into the laundry drain pipe. I went into the attic and the unit was spewing water out of all crevices and a large steady stream was running out the A/C condensate pipe. This was heat mode on a non-condensing furnace.

It stopped producing the condensation after about 10 minutes. I may not always be near the unit during the first 10 minutes but have never seen a wet furnace under these same conditions. Some of the condensing units leak inside and all and have various drainage issues but not these regular gas furnaces. I have decided that the exhaust must be partially blocked. Anyone seen this before?

B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
Serving Charlotte NC area and Fort Mill SC areas.
CMI Certified Master Inspector and Independent
License NC2449 and SC1597

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought."
- Albert Szent-Gyvrgyi, Nobel Prize for Medicine 1937

Last edited by bking; 4/19/10 at 11:35 PM..