GE AC age?

Need some help with an approximate age on this compressor unit…

Serial 226473137
Model EGTA736B7A01

ANy help is appreciated…

That’s a good one.

A guess would be 1964, but GE seems to always have used letter coding:

http://www.geappliances.com/search/fast/infobase/10000722.htm

so I don’t think that’s right.

I think a better guess would be that your “22” is actually a “ZZ” which would provide a date of December 2000, December 1988, or December 1976.

Would any of those jibe with the construction date of the house?

That’s a good one.

A guess would be 1964, but GE seems to always have used letter coding:

http://www.geappliances.com/search/fast/infobase/10000722.htm

so I don’t think that’s right.

I think a better guess would be that your “22” is actually a “ZZ” which would provide a date of December 2000, December 1988, or December 1976.

Would any of those jibe with the construction date of the house?

Here’s what I put in my report concerning my CPSC recall research:

[FONT=‘Times New Roman’]
More:

Number - Letter
0 - O
1 - L or I
2 - Z
3 - 8
5 - S
6 - G
8 - B
[/FONT]

Thanks, Russel.

I used something similar about illegible data plate and apparant age based on physical clues. Here is the actual data plate (installed upside down!)

ac close up.JPG

ac close up.JPG

It is possible that the 22 is the week and 64 is the year. G.E. sold out to American Satandard and Trane in 1982. G.E.is known for lasting the longest.

Peter

No clue then.

The plate looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay too new to be 1964.

Joseph,

The first letter in your model number is a B, not an E. I took a closer look at the pic and I’m coming up with model #BGTA736B7A01.

Prestons states that this particular GE model number was manufactured for five years. 1972 until 1976. They are running on 34,000 to 36,000 BTU’s.

Hmmm. So that would seem to indicate that the serial number “Serial 226473137” may indicate 1973, with the other numbers being possibly a week or plant, or some other info…

That would seem to go with the apparant age of the unit, but the plate is in great shape for 30+ years outdoors in PA winters, etc.

By the way, thanks for that info, David!!

Yeah. The plates here in sunny San Diego don’t look that good after five years.

What did the condenser itself look like? New? 1973?

I guess I should have included this from the start to help people!

AC small.JPG

That looks like a 2000 model for our San Diego weather.

i looked real close after turning my monitor up side down, and i see mod. BGTA736B1AO(0)1 SN; 226478137. Then i flipped my monitor right side up and typed.

And were those margaritas good? :smiley:

I have ran into the same issue with a unit here in Palm Springs. House age is 42 years old built in 1972

76, 86, or 96

FYI… GE quit making residential central A/C in the early 70’s.

I’m amazed to see the age of some of these systems. Even if I lived there would’ve upgraded over the years to a more efficient one

I hear you. But a lot of people feel that as long as it’s working…