Geothermal

Have an inspection coming up where the home is heated / cooled with goethermal. Any tips or suggestions on what to be looking for? Or where to find some information on inspecting these systems.
Thanks everyone,

Make sure you stay within the SoP or state licensing SoP. Disclose or report on what you can’t see.

Assuming you have a ground or water source heat pump then this might be pertinent. It is from a post about a home I did last Sept:

Check for:
Source of water (quality)
Pressure
Filter
Type of system (open loop, closed loop,…
Check Temp at each water furnace (Thermostat/register)

http://www.geothermal-heat-pump-resource.org/

You can easily get overwhelmed inspecting some of these systems. Keep it simple on a home inspection.

It’s very similar to inspecting a standard air source heat pump (packaged or split), except water is pumped through the ground to heat/cool the refrigerant instead of using outdoor air drawn thru a unit with a fan to heat/cool the refrigerant.

And make sure to note the limitations of your inspections and parts of the system (e.g. ground loop) thats not visible for inspection.

JMO & 2-Nickels … :wink:

Don’t do any of this BS!

Do your job like any other inspection. Observe and report!

90% of the HVAC guys can’t do geothermal, so why do you want to join the ranks of the unknowing and get your business in a bind for something you are not required to assess?

1 Like

Ditto! Operate the system using normal operating controls, report what you see, move along.

1 Like

just ran into one of these today. 1st time i have seen one. There were 3 units in the crawlspace. but the homeowner only mentioned 2, and there were only 2 thermostats inside. im wondering if the 3rd may have been to heat the pool.

i105