gfi on a/c cord trips

The gfi breaker that is built into the power of this LG air conditioner tripped after about 45 minutes of use. I had to reset the gfi to start the unit. Any ideas. TIA

www.MauiHomeInspections.com

Was it an appropriately sized circuit?

It could be the unit pull too much current for either the wire guage/breaker.

Could be the unit is broken.

Could be the circuit is not dedicated to the unit, and it combined with other things, overloaded the circuit.

Could be, could be, could be…

The unit was not plugged into the dedicated circuit provided as this was a newer 120 volt unit and the original dedicated outlet is 240 volt. The GFI that trips is the one that is built into the power cord where it plugs into the outlet.

My guess would be the cord.

A thru wall model trying to cool off a big room like the DR area should be 220 in my opinion.

Guessing that is a 15,000 btu model as once you get into a 18,000 btu range it is always 220 v from what I always saw.

My guess is you would need to replace the plug on that unit if it is a two section plug.

The unit is bound to create lots of surges that would knock out a GFI on something like that.

Personally I pretty much disclaim those units and also recommend you check to see it is made for through wall use and not just a window unit shoved in to replace the old 220v one.

Window units have side vents that should not be sealed up if that is your next question.(that could also be the cause)

Easy. Disclaim window or through-the-wall HVAC units.

When I started home inspecting on the mainland (calif) I did disclaim the window units but here this is our typical air conditioning system. So if its built in or window the standard here is that it gets inspected.

Usually, the GFCI trips because it’s doing its job.

My bad, its not a gfi device on the power cord. It’s a LCDI (Leak Current Detection Interrupter). These devices have been required on the cords of all room air conditioners since the 2002 NEC 440.65. It works like the AFCI. Since it tripped during the inspection I recommend immiedate repairs or replacement as a safety hazard.