Heat Pumps

What are the general guidelines for return and supply air temps for heat pumps?
Charlie

Charles,

There are a lot of conditions that will vary when testing heat pumps. You will not obtain the 90 -100 degree temps that a furnace will give off. When testing HP’s, I usually get temps ranging around 75 - 80 degrees F. They are also garbage in single family homes in my area.

The only time I see HP’s (in my area) is in condo’s and town homes.

Thanks Dave,
I knew that the supply temps were lower, but was not sure exactly. And yes they are garbage. I hate them. Even in Atlanta area sometimes the temps get too low for a HP to work properly.
Thanks Again,
Charlie

Try this brand instead. This is going in my new house.

I had a dual fuel system installed in my home in October.

Heat pump is set to 30 degrees and when the temps fall below 30 the 93% gas furnace kicks on. I also have a 40,000 BTU fireplace blower that I use and I run the fan on the on position.

The only complaint I have is the heat pump is somewhat noisy during the defrost mode.

My electric bill was on $9 higher this past billing period. Still waiting on the gas bill as they did an estimate last month.

So I would agree the heat pumps are garbage if used in a colder climates and there is no backup system.

The Acadia looks like a nice system. I like there site and plan on reviewing.
Thanks for the link.

You have to realize that there are basically two types of heat pumps.

There are those that are less than SEER 13 which use R22 refrigerant.
These are the ones that have the bad reputation.

And there are those that are SEER 13 and up that use R410 refrigerant.
These are the ones that work very well, even down to below 30 if they are installed correctly. You will see up to 105 degree air out of these in some conditions with no backup heat activated.

Some units have a jumper selection inside called “quiet shift”.

This will quiet down the noise you get when it reverses for the defrost mode.

Thanks, I will see if that is available on my model heat pump.

Heat pumps are very ‘popular’ in my area and are vigorously promoted by the power company. (personally, I have gaws furnaces in my house) The temps I see in inspections depends on the outside air temperature at the time. Anything up to about 90 + is possible if the outside temp is warm enough. Without stating an exact range I look at heat performance (supply vs return) the same way I look at cooling performance in the summer.

There are none, because of the limitations of a Home Inspector’s certification you can not get the added information needed.
Supply/Return delta doesn’t work well in cooling and works less in heat.

My 16 yr old Heat Pump produces 117 degrees @17 OA (equipment modification).

The Arcadia unit is an interesting Heat Pump.

What makes it work?
Why do you save money with this unit?
Why can it work in Alaska?

Anyone know how this is?

They call it opti-cycle, it has two compressors.

When does their patent run out so the other guy’s can use it?

Nothing new to the refrigeration industry.

Why does a Heat Pump loose so much capacity when it gets cold?

Uhhhhh, not much heat to pump???

Correct!

That answers part one of a three part answer! :wink:

Keep going Brian!

Higher compression

Well, I’m not exactly sure what you mean by that.

But in this regard, I’ll give you a hint.
When it gets colder outside the density of the refrigerant vapor reduces, and potential capacity declines. This results in lower compression ratios (but also lower power consumption).

But what will cause this? Besides less heat in the outdoor air?