HVAC Disconnect

I recently inspected a gas fired furnace located in a remodeled basement with no electrical disconnect and the circuit breaker box was in the garage. Is an electrical disconnect required to be at the furnace? It is my understanding that all furnaces must have a disconnect within sight of the unit.

That’s the way it’s noted in Electrical Code Check under “Appliances”. It’s supposed to be a fused disconnect unless the furnace is thermally protected. The NEC code reference number is 422.33A

Correct
Roy Cooke sr

There must be a switch or breaker within sight of the equipment (to protect service technicians that shut off power), or it can be the feeder breaker in a remotely located panel if the breaker can be locked in the off position (i.e. a “breaker lock” is installed).

If you have a copy of the IRC look at Table E4001.5 which has a handy summary table of required “Disconnecting Means” for appliances and equipment. A lot easier read for HI’s than sifting through numerous NEC sections … :idea:

Note that while most furnaces have blower motors that are more than 1/8 HP (usually 1/3 to 3/4 HP), they usually have internal overload protection so a disconnect switch that is also fused isn’t usually required. In fact I can’t remember one unit that I inspected or installed in a house that required a fused disconnect switch (commercial is a different story).

JMO & 2-nickels … :wink:

I’ve been seeing some like this lately–no dead front cover. However, it appears manufactured this way and you’d have to work real hard to contact a live part. What do ya’ll think about it? “Servicable?”

070706 034.jpg

070706 034.jpg

Joe, I have not seen one of those, it looks nice, no problem with it here.

Wow. We just plug them in and, if necessary, unplug them.

Sure … I think it looks serviceable. Doesn’t appear to be any exposed hot lugs or ends of hot wires.

I prefer the disconnects with a GFCI service receptacle (as a receptacle is required within 25’ of outdoor units since the 2002 NEC). It’s a little more expensive and requires a 3-wire + ground feeder, instead of the usual 2-wire + ground feeder. But it’s usually less than installing a separate service receptacle.

JMO & 2-nickels … :wink:

Are we talking about furnaces or cooling condensers?

Both (as well as AC air handlers) require a disconnect switch within sight (or breaker lock) and a service receptacle within 25’.

Out here we just plug the gas furnaces into the outlet. If we need to work on them, we unplug them. Very simple.

Don’t the margaritas keep you warm???