Need help

I am in Florida so I typically do not see oil furnaces, mostly electric. I was at an inspection and noticed a York oil furnace that appears to be the original with the home 1972 but it looks like they converted most of it to electric. It is now attached to a 2013 r410a compressor and also has a partial electric furnace above the old furnace. The oil tank is located at the back of the home as well. My question is this legal. and if so, how would I put this in my report for my client?

What makes you think the oil furnace was converted to electric heat? Looks like they added the A/C coil on top of it. Did you fire up the furnace?

Looks like an oil furnace to me.
Remove the front panel to see the burner.
I see the small liquid line and suction line above and the pvc condensate line and the supply duct behind the furnace.

The thermostat should have been one for heating and cooling.
Did you fire up the system to make sure it works with automatic controls as Brad mentioned?

What else did you possibly miss.?

TPR?

Let me tell you what I see and what I don’t see, I see a up flow oil fired furnace with the return air on the back side of the furnace. First you can connect a A/C system to any kind of a furnace oil, natural gas, propane or electric. I smell a HP with an oil back up furnace. I don’t see any wires large enough to support a electric heat strip. I can not see the arrow or arrows on the liquid line dryer at the A-coil entrance as the arrows would tell me if indeed the unit is a heat pump which requires a bi-directional filter, arrows going both ways. Your thermostat will also tell you if there is a HP it will have an emergency heat mode. The outside condensing unit will have a reversing valve did you check for any of these items or did you just assume it was a conventional A/C unit.

In Fla I would be thinking HP

BTW the electric WH in your pic would also red flag to me to check for a HP

BTW again the pic of the outside condensing unit is elevated above the pad which also indicates a HP

BTW again that furnace to me does not appear to be a 72 furnace they did not put yellow stickers on furnaces in 1972

Thank you for the help. I did not the TPR valve on the WH also. All the automatic controls worked as intended. There was an emergency heat on the thermostat as well.

Agree…I would also have to say that is one of better looking oil furnaces I have seen for a 1972. A photo of label will help with age. Either way, one thing I look for when a home was built with oil or gas used for heat and hot water then converted to all electric is the size of the electrical service. Many of these homes only had a 100 amp service which might be to small when you switch everything to electric.