Help with strange color floor joists

Can anyone determine what this could be? and how would you write up this flue if at all.
There are also 3 3" Natural Gas water heaters connected to the flue.
The Octapus Furnaces have been converted to coal. and there are three flues from them tied into the flue.

chimney hole 2.JPG

chimney hole 2.JPG

furnaces octopus (2).JPG

Silt 8.JPG

Flue Size.JPG

Silt 4.JPG

More Pictures

Flue (3).JPG

Flue (3).JPG

FLUES (2).JPG

1. No chimney cap.
  2. Furnace flues improperly entering unlined chimney. Need proper seal/connection.
  3. ? Bunch of dirty wires?
  4. Very dirty basement?
  5. Anyone seen Dr. Seuss?
  6. Recommend Level II chimney inspection
  7. Water heater flue should enter chimney above the furnace flues.

And that is likely asbestos on the ducks of the gravity furnaces.

Funny the title of the thread has no bearing on the questions possed :wink:

The strange color of the joists appears to be a Lime wash, which is common in those old basements.

Regards

Gerry

Ok Gerry, I’m no spring chicken but thats a new one for me. What the heck is “lime wash”?

Here you go Mark

Regards

Gerry

But its pealing and washes off

Probably and old white wash then Ricky

Regards

Gerry

Its a new one on me also. My bigest concern was that the old furnaces might be causing it. Or caused it in the past before they were converted to NG

On very old houses. Turn of 19th century they would sometimes start a fire in the basement to kill off termites. Now that is site you don’t soon forget.

I imagine it did wonders for getting rid of house guests who have over stayed their welcome too…:mrgreen:

whats up with that hot water heater chimney?

The photo is rotated 90 degrees clockwise. The side of the photo that is on your left is actually the bottom. Place your right ear directly on top of your right shoulder and it should look better. :mrgreen:

The white wash is a good indication of fire damage.