Hiding sloppy work

Is not as easy as it once was, IR does not see through floors but it is the next best thing. The image was taken on a new home never been lived in from on the second floor the carpet had not been laid. I can see in the image where the central duct ran between the joist and where the duct connections were leaking air. Its not so much the problem that the duct was leaking air into a living or conditioned space the problem lies in the air is not delivered to the area intended

Right on, Charlie.

I hope the 1st flr walk-in shower did not overflow into the bathroom. rrr

I can state for sure it did not how about you;-):D:p

Nor did this:D:D

4721 Manchester Enid 1-12-12 039.jpg

I have been keeping tract, these “indoor” leaks find their way to the outside more times than not.

I have had several jobs last summer to find roof leaks that the roofer could not find.
Found the roof was not leaking!
HVAC air between floors soaked the walls from ceiling to floor!

Nice pics guys. Makes me think about offering IR.

I found a similar issue on a new home…

ductleak1.jpg

P7270015.JPG

David,

Am I looking at water damage not visible to the naked eye on the drywall?

Jeff is the air duct disconnected?

Read an article last year stating that the experts figure from doing random field analysis that the typical American home is losing 20% or more of the efficiency due to poorly designed, constructed ductwork. I think that is too conservative from my own personal observations. I find flex duct connections and joints literally dripping condensation. Couple that with poorly ventilated and the number of attics where the insulation has been compacted or flattened from some bonehead walking through creating the thermal bridging, it isn’t any wonder people’s heating and cooling bills are through the roof.

That, or perhaps a leaking register boot.

That is a leaking HVAC supply duct dumping inside the wall. The leaking duct was about 30 ft. away on the other side of the wall.

This brings the wall down below the dew point and condensation saturated the sheetrock.

This is why you must confirm moisture with another means, not just call it an air leak or moisture.

Other side…