hot water boiler inspection

Fellow inspectors:
I am inspecting this weekend a hot water boiler furnace system. I am looking for any bulletpoints, help with anything I need to look for as this is the first boiler system I have done. I realize their are hot water and steam boilers, this is a hot water system. Any articles, etc that would help I would appreciate.
TW

Nothing to it Anthony,
Check out Weil McLain’s website and heatinghelp.Com for starters.
Cast iron section boilers run at 180 degrees and should have 12 to 15 pounds at the gauge.
Any zone controls should be checked for proper operation.
If it’s a commercial job, look for CSD_1 info.

Start reading and perhaps get a heating contractor to let you tag along on a service call.

KISS…keep it simple. Turn it on at the thermostat & check the pipes/radiators to make sure there warm. Check the gauge after bit like mentioned just to make sure there’s no excessive pressures/temps. Shut it down & move on.

Also, remove the cover just like you would on a furnace and take pictures and look for rusting and anything that may catch your eye.

Thank you gentlemen!

Leaks/corrosion at circulating pumps, components, valves, etc. Older distribution piping was typically insulated with asbestos too.

It’s important to maintain your boiler to supply continuous hot water for your family. Scheduling hot water boiler maintenance before the winter can help homeowners avoid emergency boiler issues. To keep your hot water boiler up to date, have your heating unit inspected every year, for any necessary repairs. An inspection can involve cleaning the vents, tightening fittings and inspecting gas lines. You can get best way find boiler repair service in NJ](http://hvacplumbersource.com/find-heating-hvac-repair-installation-service-in-new-jersey/). This will give a boiler run more efficiently on an established timer and save you money.

It’s pretty typical on a 3 story house here in Bmore to find one or two radiators that are not responding, and remember you have to give plenty of time for the hot water to circulate if the system is cold.
If one or two aren’t responding then inform the client it may be something as simple as bleeding the valves but you’ll recommend a boiler tech to check it out.
I’ll then note the location of those radiators in the report with a photo.
Other than that inspect the boiler as others have noted, TPR valve leaks?
Any asbestos on the pipes?
And note the age of the boiler in the report.

Make sure you check all of the radiators. Recent inspection on an old 3 story Victorian had all the radiators on the 1st floor nice and hot but some on the 2nd and 3rd floor only half heated and some not at all.