HRV in Garage

Is it an issue to have a HRV (Heat recovery ventilator) in a Garage?

My understanding is, this can cause a carbon monoxide entry source into the home. Thank you.

Hi Mark,

I would call it out for the same reason that you have stated, nothing should draw air from the garage into the home as it could draw gasoline fumes, plus it is a clear breach of the fire wall.

Regards

Gerry

I think the HRV can be located in the garage, since it’s just the heat exchanger. It’s the inlet for make up air that needs to come from a safe (exterior) area. I’ve seen HRV’s installed… seems like 20 or 30 feet from the exterior wall in which the actual inlet was mounted. Intake duct ran from the inlet to the HRV, so the home was still pulling makeup air from the exterior even though the HRV was located at the interior.
But right… no make-up air from the garage.

I can’t see the cabinet being air tight? Fumes would, no doubt, be drawn in through the cabinet by the fan? The flexible air ducts would not last the required time for fire resistance.
I have this as an issue with a Lennox HRV as we speak. I’m also thinking about winter in a garage where the temp is fairly cool…how does this affect the exchange process? The air exchangers that I have Googled indicate that they should not be located in the garage. ( a warm area is suggested). It seems a safety and efficiency issue?

I believe the issue is with erv’s. There are certain manufacturer’s who now make units to stand up to -25 degrees Celsius.
Here’s a link
http:// www.homebuildercanada.com/2603_ERV.htm

Jorod is correct and many are designed to go into the crawlspace but the what would not be correct is in garage unless you applied the same principle as a furnace or hvac. All areas must be sealed on the supply and exhaust plus somehow control moisture to prevent mold. The cabinet would need to withstand the 1 hr burn time required in a fire to meet the same criteria as a separated wall from the home and all duct work that penetrates the wall needs to have fire proof caulking to prevent fumes and CO gas from entering the living space. The duct work also would need to be made with #26 galvanized at least here anyways.

1 Like