Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Inspecting HVAC Systems Topics include heating, venting, and air conditioning inspections.

Old 4/21/17, 3:09 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default HVAC register in bedroom closet?

While inspecting a home today, I found a bedroom above a garage with no HVAC registers in the bedroom itself, but in the closet only? Is this an acceptable standard or is this a safety issue? What is your recommendation, and how would you report it?

BR Home Inspection Services LLC
Bill Rich
Canfield, Ohio 44406
Bill@BRHomeInspector.com
Need a home inspection in New York? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New York certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/21/17, 6:41 AM

Default Re: HVAC register in bedroom closet?

No heating outlet in the bedroom . recommend correction each room is supposed to have heat . see them in a walk in all the time . why would it be safety issue ? Was it open frame in the garage area?

Wayne Wilson CMI
East TN Home Inspections LLC
Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Clinton, Farragut, Lenoir City, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and all the surrounding areas.
865-256-1490
https://www.myhomeinspection.net/

Old 4/21/17, 10:33 AM

Thanks Wayne! Yes, I questioned the fact that it was in the closet and not in the room itself, and the garage area is not open, but finished. The safety part would be not getting enough air circulation along with heating/cooling in the bedroom when needed because the source was in the closet.

I did recommended the client seek a qualified HVAC contractor.

Bill Rich
Canfield, Ohio 44406
Bill@BRHomeInspector.com
Old 4/22/17, 6:44 AM

Bill
Good job on recommending a heating contractor review.
Just as important, was there a return air in this bedroom or in the hall just outside?
Old 4/22/17, 11:34 AM

Pretty much a clue that the clueless participated in a reno, and that the inspector needs to look for more bonehead wiring, plumbing and HVAC.

Erik Schmidt

East Side Home Inspection
Edmonton Alberta
780 477 2666
Old 4/22/17, 12:03 PM

Scott,

Yes, there was a return vent in the room.

Bill Rich
Canfield, Ohio 44406
Bill@BRHomeInspector.com
Old 4/27/17, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson3 View Post
No heating outlet in the bedroom . recommend correction each room is supposed to have heat . see them in a walk in all the time . why would it be safety issue ? Was it open frame in the garage area?
You are correct that each bedroom is supposed to have heat but it can be from a direct or indirect source, the source does not need to be in the room. If the heating is done indirectly (from a source outside of the room), the source that provides heat to the room in question must be able to maintain the minimum allowable temperature which is generally 68 degrees (some jurisdictions have amendments in their admin plan that allows for a different minimum temperature)

Kris R. Beaudoin
1059 Center Minot Hill Rd
Minot Me 04258
tel. 207-689-5482
Old 4/28/17, 8:07 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Send a message via AIM to jfrederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeaudoin View Post
You are correct that each bedroom is supposed to have heat but it can be from a direct or indirect source, the source does not need to be in the room. If the heating is done indirectly (from a source outside of the room), the source that provides heat to the room in question must be able to maintain the minimum allowable temperature which is generally 68 degrees (some jurisdictions have amendments in their admin plan that allows for a different minimum temperature)
I'm assuming the closet has doors. Would you honestly think the room is going to be adequately conditioned with the doors closed? What would you say if this were in a home you were buying?

http://northwestohiohomeinspector.com

Defiance home inspector
Northwest Ohio home inspector
Old 4/28/17, 8:10 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Send a message via AIM to jfrederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by brich2 View Post
The safety part would be not getting enough air circulation along with heating/cooling in the bedroom when needed because the source was in the closet.
What, like oxygen being circulated for breathing -lol? I still don't get what you're saying in regards to being a safety issue? Regardless, it's simply a matter of not heating or cooling/conditioning the room properly.

http://northwestohiohomeinspector.com

Defiance home inspector
Northwest Ohio home inspector
Old 4/28/17, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrederick View Post
I'm assuming the closet has doors. Would you honestly think the room is going to be adequately conditioned with the doors closed? What would you say if this were in a home you were buying?
Actually..... I have 3 bedrooms on my second floor heated by a heating source in a secondary room and nothing in any bedroom. Two of the bedrooms were part of an addition I built 3 years ago, Code had ZERO issue with it and I received the Certificate of occupancy without issue. I have no issue with the set-up and I live in Maine.

My point is that the OP is being told a heat source needs to be in a bedroom which is not true and he doesn't know one way or another if the system is adequate. I don't think its good advice to recommend an HVAC tech install heating components when they are 1. not required and 2. you are unsure if they are needed to maintain an adequate temperature. Just my opinion.

Kris R. Beaudoin
1059 Center Minot Hill Rd
Minot Me 04258
tel. 207-689-5482
Old 4/28/17, 9:13 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeaudoin View Post
Actually..... I have 3 bedrooms on my second floor heated by a heating source in a secondary room and nothing in any bedroom. Two of the bedrooms were part of an addition I built 3 years ago, Code had ZERO issue with it and I received the Certificate of occupancy without issue. I have no issue with the set-up and I live in Maine.

My point is that the OP is being told a heat source needs to be in a bedroom which is not true and he doesn't know one way or another if the system is adequate. I don't think its good advice to recommend an HVAC tech install heating components when they are 1. not required and 2. you are unsure if they are needed to maintain an adequate temperature. Just my opinion.
I would report that it is good building practices to have a heat source in every room of the home (regardless of code).

Marcel Gratton, NACHI04011210, CMI
On The Level Inspection
Gatineau, Québec
http://www.onthelevelinspection.com/