Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Inspecting HVAC Systems Topics include heating, venting, and air conditioning inspections.

Old 4/5/10, 11:21 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Look what I found today!

Thought I would never get to see one of these. 88 model. Had 2 mufflers on it, and worked flawlessly. I did let the buyers know about the recalls.
Attached Thumbnails
Look what I found today!-1-jpg   Look what I found today!-2-jpg  

Fogarty Inspection Services Group of Palm Bay FL
FL Licensed Home Inspector #8351
Infraspection Level 2 Thermographer #8788
FL Licensed Mold Assessor #MRSA2330
Certified Master Inspector

Home inspections, Commercial Inspections, Mold assessments, Thermal Imaging, Wind Mitigation and Insurance Inspections for Palm Bay, Melbourne, Cocoa, Titusville, Vero Beach and all the surrounding areas.

321-506-5125
fogartyinspectionservices@gmail.com

www.homeinspectorpalmbay.com
Need a home inspection in West Virginia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of West Virginia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/5/10, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Look what I found today!

And Sean Wins thata Boy award .

Wayne Wilson CMI
East TN Home Inspections LLC
Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Clinton, Farragut, Lenoir City, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and all the surrounding areas.
865-256-1490
https://www.myhomeinspection.net/

Old 4/6/10, 12:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to krunquist

I see those all the time. Different parts of the country I guess. They have been a problem too many have been replaced due to me calling it out.

Keith Runquist, CMI
Old 4/6/10, 6:32 AM
Banned

Please Note: Brian A. MacNeish is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogarty View Post
Thought I would never get to see one of these. 88 model. Had 2 mufflers on it, and worked flawlessly. I did let the buyers know about the recalls.
Have seen 3 or 4 over the years way up here in Halifax,NS. Since we only have had natgas here in the last 7-8 years, they were burning propane.
Old 4/6/10, 10:22 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Sean - Found one yesterday in a crawl space - was unable to find a mod/ser # on it - Do you have info on the recalls?

Greg Keene
Clear Choice Home Inspections
Evergreen, CO
303-674-3234
greg@clearchoice-hi.com
Old 4/6/10, 10:37 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Greg, the recall that I am aware of, is from the mid to late 90's, and is expired.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
Owatonna, Minnesota

"I am not a teacher, but an awakener."
- Robert Frost, American poet (1874-1963).

"We Respect Our Clients Right to Privacy"

Old 4/6/10, 10:41 AM
InterNACHI Member

Lennox Industries, a major maker of high-efficiency home gas furnaces, has announced a factory-subsidized inspection program (recall) for Lennox Pulse furnaces installed between 1982 and 1989.
A company news release said unacceptable levels of corrosion had been found in some of the heat exchangers of furnaces manufactured and installed during that time. "A combination of things, such as condensation, impurities in fuel, inadequate cleaning or irregular inspections can, over the lifetime of the unit, lead to undetected corrosion of key components of the heating system", said Bob Schjerven, president and CEO of Lennox. "Improperly inspected or maintained furnaces can develop problems, including the possibility of carbon monoxide leaks that could be fatal," he added.
If you are unsure whether his or her furnace is covered by the program, he or she should remove the front door of the furnace and find the name tag. It will contain a number beginning with "GS14" or "GSR14", etc., followed by a series of other numbers and letters. One should then contact Lennox at (800)537-4341.

Old 4/6/10, 10:47 AM

Lennox Pulse furnace

No recall. Just a one time free inspection for the G14 only.

However Lennox does recommend that all G14's and G21's Pulse heat exchangers be inspected and pressure tested for leakage every 4 years. This inspection is the owners responsibility.

Also:

http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat/lennox1.htm

The company urges owners of Lennox Pulse furnaces installed between 1982 and 1989 to schedule a furnace and safety check with an independent Lennox dealer by calling 800-537-4341
[Try this newer Lennox Corporation contact telephone number: 900-622-8000, or
Try the contact links to Lennox dealers inserted by Google at the left side of this page - February 2007--DF].

The Lennox Pulse furnace safety inspection is free, but if the furnace has to be cleaned in order to be inspected, the customer could be charged for the cleaning.
To identify a Pulse furnace, look for its name on the door. If the unit is a Pulse 21 furnace, it was manufactured after 1990 and is not part of the inspection program.
For those with Lennox furnaces without the Pulse 21 name, the next step is to remove the front door and look for the name tag. These tags are usually placed on the inside cabinet wall on the left side of the furnace.
Locate the model number on the tag (either G14 or GSR14 followed by a series of numbers and letters) and the serial number on a tag below the name tag. Homeowners who caU the 800 number with the information will be told if their furnace is eligible for this inspection program.
The inspection program runs through July 1, 1999. If the warranted heat exchanger needs replacing, Lennox will provide a new heat exchanger at no cost to the owner. Labor costs for replacement parts are not part of the Pulse furnace warranty.

Awards Committee Member
SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE:
http://co.nachi.org/inachiawards/

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.

Larry Kage, CMI 2004-2017
State Licensed Builder since 1973
InterNACHI Lifetime Member
~retired~

The above post represents my personal opinion.
Old 4/6/10, 10:55 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkage View Post
Lennox Pulse furnace

No recall. Just a one time free inspection for the G14 only.

However Lennox does recommend that all G14's and G21's Pulse heat exchangers be inspected and pressure tested for leakage every 4 years. This inspection is the owners responsibility.

Also:

http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat/lennox1.htm

The company urges owners of Lennox Pulse furnaces installed between 1982 and 1989 to schedule a furnace and safety check with an independent Lennox dealer by calling 800-537-4341
[Try this newer Lennox Corporation contact telephone number: 900-622-8000, or
Try the contact links to Lennox dealers inserted by Google at the left side of this page - February 2007--DF].
The Lennox Pulse furnace safety inspection is free, but if the furnace has to be cleaned in order to be inspected, the customer could be charged for the cleaning.
To identify a Pulse furnace, look for its name on the door. If the unit is a Pulse 21 furnace, it was manufactured after 1990 and is not part of the inspection program.
For those with Lennox furnaces without the Pulse 21 name, the next step is to remove the front door and look for the name tag. These tags are usually placed on the inside cabinet wall on the left side of the furnace.
Locate the model number on the tag (either G14 or GSR14 followed by a series of numbers and letters) and the serial number on a tag below the name tag. Homeowners who caU the 800 number with the information will be told if their furnace is eligible for this inspection program.
The inspection program runs through July 1, 1999. If the warranted heat exchanger needs replacing, Lennox will provide a new heat exchanger at no cost to the owner. Labor costs for replacement parts are not part of the Pulse furnace warranty.
Thanks Larry. That is what I was referring to in my other post above.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
Owatonna, Minnesota

"I am not a teacher, but an awakener."
- Robert Frost, American poet (1874-1963).

"We Respect Our Clients Right to Privacy"

Old 4/6/10, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
Greg, the recall that I am aware of, is from the mid to late 90's, and is expired.
That is correct.

I had one last year and chased it down with a local HVAC contractor.

The unit was still functioning well.

They recommended annual heat exchanger testing.

I informed the client and recommended the installation of CO detectors. Done

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

You own your private information. I won't sell or give away yours, others do

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Call me

Old 4/6/10, 6:01 PM

Greg,
I think you have your info. Mine was an 88 model so it fell into that catagory. The recalls could have been done. Any furnace of that age I always recommend getting it serviced and inspected. Oh, and I did find a gas leak on the control valve. So much for not needing a gas detector huh??

Fogarty Inspection Services Group of Palm Bay FL
FL Licensed Home Inspector #8351
Infraspection Level 2 Thermographer #8788
FL Licensed Mold Assessor #MRSA2330

Home inspections, Commercial Inspections, Mold assessments, Thermal Imaging, Wind Mitigation and Insurance Inspections for Palm Bay, Melbourne, Cocoa, Titusville, Vero Beach and all the surrounding areas.

321-506-5125
fogartyinspectionservices@gmail.com

www.homeinspectorpalmbay.com
Old 4/6/10, 7:15 PM

Thanks guys - the buyer is a 70 yo widow and I want to help her all I can -

Greg Keene
Clear Choice Home Inspections
Evergreen, CO
303-674-3234