Mason Say's "OK"

I just inspected this house, I was told that there was no need of inspecting the chimney, as it has already passed by a mason a week ago.
What the Hell is wrong with these guys. Take a look, would you give it the clear?

i2.jpg

i2.jpg

i2.jpg

i3.jpg

i4.jpg

Hi Tyrone,

Clearly the brickwork on parts of that chimney is failing and shifting, the mason must be blind, secondly the opinions of the mason are not relavent as the chimney should be having a level II inspection performed by a licensed/certified sweep.

Regards

Gerry

Tyrone, did the mason put anything in writing? Even if he did you have to call it out to CYA. Makes you wonder how good alot of tradespeople really are.

There seems to be much more going on than just what we see on the surface. What is causing the brick faces to spall? I have seen conditions like this caused by condensation issues, (due to temperature differences) often internally from within the chimney by cracks or gaps in the flue. I would recommend having the chimney reviewed by a WETT certified inspector.

A matter of fact he did. And I had contacted him and told him that if it was up to me, he would never again work in my area.

I am a WETT certified inspector, and thats why I made note that the chimney is in need of major repair.

Hi Gary, I am a licensed inspector for chimneys and fireplaces, called “WETT CERTIFIED” in Canada.
The mason was also WETT certified. Thats the thing that bothers me the most.

Hi Tyrone, sorry I should have looked at your location and given a none us specific response.

Could you explain the WETT, certification for the benefit of newer Canadian members (and me for that matter)

Regards

Gerry

Regards

Gerry

Wood Energy Technology Transfer Inc. (WETT Inc.) is a non-profit training and education association managed by a volunteer Board of Directors elected by holders of valid WETT certificates. Through its administrative designate, WETT Inc. functions as the national registrar of the WETT program. Through professional training and public education, WETT Inc. promotes the safe and effective use of wood burning systems in Canada.

In carrying out its mandate to promote increased safety and effectiveness, WETT Inc. maintains the Wood Energy Technical Training program (WETT). The program is
designed to:

• provide training to those who offer wood energy products and installation and maintenance services to the public and to those who conduct inspections of wood burning systems,

• confirm and recognize the knowledge and skills acquired through field experience, self-study and successful completion of WETT courses by issuing certificates of qualification,

• provide training to specialty audiences as the need and demand arises.

The WETT system consists of several courses recognizing the various types of work done by wood energy professionals. Certification is achieved by completing courses to earn educational credits. A technical reference manual has been prepared to assist trainees in preparing for courses and as a reference manual for certificate holders.

WETT trained professionals must abide by a code of ethics requiring professionalism in all aspects of their work. The installation and maintenance of wood burning appliances is not regulated in Canada. As a non-profit training and educational association, WETT does not oversee, nor is it responsible for, the workmanship of its members. As such, WETT does not act as a regulator. WETT does maintain internal processes to address breaches of our code of ethics, however WETT cannot become involved in resolving consumer disputes.

Objectives of WETT**

• To develop, maintain, promote and deliver professional training courses within the framework of the Wood Energy Technical Training Program (WETT) for practitioners of trades related to the sale, installation, maintenance and inspection of systems using wood and other biomass fuels.

• To maintain a registry containing the names of holders of valid WETT certificates and those who are students under the program.

• To foster and promote among certificate holders the highest level of professional conduct in the delivery of services to the public.

• To encourage and promote the safe and efficient use of wood energy through the distribution of public information materials and through collaboration with government agencies and related industries.

• To foster and promote research and education in utilization of wood as a source of energy.

• To promote the interests and activities of the members of the organization in a reasonable and legal manner.

• To provide a forum for the discussion of issues of importance or interest to the members and to share information and opinions for the mutual benefit of the members.

• To carry on such other activities as may, from time to time, be ordered by the Board of Directors of the organization and which are consistent with these objectives

Thanks Paul, couldn’t have said it better myself.

Neither could I. Its from the WETT website.8-

Works for me.

Just needs a good coat of paint:

Neighbor's chimney (Small).jpg

When will they start putting metal caps on masonry fireplaces to help prevent freeze and thaw cycles from causing this kind of damage?

Let alone some bricks just do not hold up to moisture!

Paul
I think I have a problem with that non profit thing.
Larry

The (mason) Thought this would be ok 2!
http://www.badstucco.com/bricks/bricks.htm

So did the city code official when I called and told him about it he chose to do nothing!:roll:
Now everytime the HVAC kicks on it will have the oppritunity to pull moisture in because it creates a vacum. Or so I have been told!

Granted the courses are not cheap. However their training is well organized and throughly thought out. Not to mention the ongoing development of the B365. I can see where the revenue from the courses and dues can be quickly eaten up.

I was inspecting a home the other day. They had a Wett inspector come in and check the fireplace, and gave it a clean bill of health. BUT, he did not go up on roof and notice the cracks in the mortar and open mortar joints and minor cracks on chimneny cap.

Just because you are Wett Certified does not mean you will do a good job or are good at it, any more than a home inspector who is certified.

Not the first time I have questioned findings from Wett, I don’t care whether they are certified or not.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

The reason the clay bricks are spalling is because you have a shoulder on the outside of the house. Rain hits this and clay brick absorbs water. Over the years the freeze/thaw cycles causes spalling. There is no way rain falling on the shoulder is going to drain properly. Clay brick is like a sponge. I think most of the damage in the orignal photo is from exterior wetting not from inside the house.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON