No suction at return air vent

I noticed no “suction” at return vent in hall at main level.

Closer look at HVAC unit in lower level utility room I find return duct is open at top, only source for return air in 2 level 2800 sq. ft. house.

So what did ya put in your report here ya are evaluating the duct system Shame shame:D:D

WOW,that sucks…er actually I mean it doesn’t.

Here is mine from yesterday that sucked.

Bonus points to first that guess blue metal function sitting on top of filter.

Bob is that a gas water heater in the back ground and is the furnace gas fired what did ya say about that:shock:

it’s a 13

http://myarchitectdata.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Gas-Water-Heater-Diagram1.jpg

Wow that’s a little dangerous seeing that it’s open to the combustion zone.

Actually the cover was from the old one but the other side had fiberglass insulation on the b vent wrapped with electrical tape.

In my opinion as a professional and competent home inspector the return air configuration for the HVAC system is inadequate. The only air return source is at return plenum in utility room, at ceiling level. I recommend having a professional HVAC technician inspect further and repair as needed.

In my opinion as a professional and competent home inspector the return air configuration for the HVAC system is inadequate. The only air return source is at return plenum in utility room, at ceiling level. I recommend having a professional HVAC technician inspect further and repair as needed.

No mention of repercussion for not correcting Chris?
I went the other route and stated…
• The return has a vent opening in thefloor directly in front of the unit and should be sealed as
this could pull in carbon monoxide fumes which would then circulate throughout the
household.

Had to get home to look at the report Charlie.Though I could have pulled it off Dom’s upload service on the phone I suppose.

The return is within 10 feet of the combustion chamber (for you code nuts)…

Here’s one for you. Is CO lighter or heavier than air?

CO is lighter than air…

Are ya sure:D

Slightly lighter than air.

“Carbon monoxide has a molar mass of 28.0, which makes it slightly lighter than air, whose average molar mass is 28.8.”

Cumon Joe I wuz just messing with the other Joe to see how sure he was of his answer and here ya cum messing wit me;-):wink:

Did they have this set up as a wild return. Did you by any chance check the static pressure to see if it was with the range

Oh yea, I’m sure he did!

How far from Home Inspection is that?! :wink:

OK, as for the “specific gravity” of CO vs. Air; if it were heavier than air, would it still not rise?

Yes-No? Why?

Who cares if c/o is a little lighter or heavier ?

The function of a return is to "circulate"air (get it) and the return sucks the air in meaning the air is not static.

The return can also suck flue gas from the hood at the water heater.

Or possibly from furnace flue.

Not going to pull Co from the furnace flu as its sealed but it sure will from the burner area its not sealed