storm collars

vent pipes from gas furnaces located in attic space below. pic is of rubber roof and rubber roof boot around vent pipe, do you think I should say a storm collar is recommended here.?DSCF0020 (Small).JPG

You could use one however I saw very few on penetrations such as this and I never installed one as an improvement.

I see that there is a hose clamp around the top of the “witches hat”, what you need to verify is that there is an adhesive sealing the top of the witches hat. In best practice the sealant to be used is called ‘waterblock’, it is like chewing gum in a caulking tube and should be applied inside the collar where the clamp fits. If there is any further sealants at the top of the hat that is not a bad idea, just one more barrier although not necessary.

Pic of roof looks good, I do see a few patches, make certain that the edges are staying tight, the area around the patches and the pipe pictured are sealed with a seam sealer (black sealant about 1 inch around edge). Check it closely for cracking, the sun gets the best of it and dries it out.

Good to note to someone that is buying a place with a rubber roof that they do need examined at least every 2 years, annually is better especially as it ages and most importantly if it has numerous penetrations.

Thank you I didn’t put on my report that a storm collar is needed, just a recommendation for added protection, And there was no other sealant under pipe clamp that I was aware of. No signs of leaks below either. Thanks

That appears to be a PVC roof system. If so, that boot is fine.

“Waterblock” is new to me. If this is the stuff, it’s basically flexiable cement in a tube.

If the pipe flange is rubber is it not combustible?
Typically you would see a Galvanized steel flange or “boot” partnered with a storm collar.
I don’t think that installation is correct.

Waterblock is the name by which I know it, I have used Firestone Products for EPDM roofing and this may be a carry over from their product base.

The waterblock product differs from most other caulking in that is does not ‘dry’ per se, it stays ‘gooey’ and is sticky as chewing gum on the side walk in August at about 1:15 in the afternoon with not a cloud in the sky (sorry cannot be more descriptive than that). It is used at details and penetrations where expansion and contraction would otherwise cause most sealants to crack or separate and leak. Usually it is gray in color, and can often be found smeared on the EPDM near the area where it has been used. The stuff is a real pain but the best thing for the job!

Hope that helps.