Technical Reference Guide Vs Carrier Blue Book

I am going to buy the **Technical Reference Guide **by Carson Dunlop.
Does the Carrier Blue Book have anything in it that is not in the Technical Reference Guide?
Would it benefit me to have both?

I have the Tech. Ref. Guide and am generally disappointed with it. Unusual for Carson Dunlop which usually has such great reference material.

Wow, I thought the Technical Reference Guide was considered a good one. I am mostly just interested in dates of manufacture.

I’m most impressed with the Technical Reference Guide. I’ve had it since it came out five years ago, having bought it at the CREIA/ASHI state convention here in San Diego. I don’t have the 2006 version, but I understand it is even better than the 2001 version.

Can’t speak about the others.

I know this was money well spent http://www.prestonguide.com/

I like both C & D Tech guide and the Preston Guideon CD.

I’ve never had perfect results from either guide, but having both guides will at least get you close to the exact manufacturing dates.

Is the Technical Reference Guide Available on CD?

And my main question; is the Carrier Blue Book Worth anything.

No…Reference manual only.

It would be nice to have this info. on a CD.

Never seen or heard of it.

I’d also like to know if this guide is a better reference guide than the others.

I have an old copy of the Blue Book I do not think is available in print I think it is disk only and would love to find how good it is too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carrier-Electronic-Blue-Book-on-CD-HVAC-TOOLS_W0QQitemZ230076659518QQihZ013QQcategoryZ66999QQcmdZViewItem

Roy Cooke

David, that’s the one on ebay, I bought a copy a couple of weeks ago, it seems it looks pretty good, its not just carrier many other brands, it lets you search by manufacturer, year, btu, AFUE, and Model number. I have a Prestons Book, but the carrier loads right to my laptop.

I’ve been going to search for many of the model numbers people ask about on the Message Board to see if it has them, I know Prestons doesn’t have all the answers, maybe the Carrier will fill in some of the missing info. For $30 I thought I’d give it a try, I’d like to get Preston’s on CD too.

I’d like to get Preston’s on CD too.

Only** $175**

I just bought one on Ebay too. I like the idea of having as much info on my computer as possible, with a backup CD of course. That way I don’t have to go looking for things when doing a report.

Pictured is a Payne Model PH 3 SERIES 13 SPLIT SYSTEM HEAT PUMP UNIT

The manufacturer, manufacture date and capacity are as follows:
Manufactured: July 2008 (the average working lifespan of this unit is 15-20 years)
Nominal cooling capacity: 2 Ton (designed to effectively cool a 1000-1400 sq. ft. home)
Suggested maintenance: annual (no maintenance history is available for this unit)
Product information and specs available at

This air-conditioning/heat pump system sits on a designed slab and is clear of any vegetation for a minimum of 18-inches. The exterior unit appears free of rust or exterior damage. The fan grille is in place. The refrigerant supply and return lines are copper and appear to be free of leaks, corrosion or damage. The return refrigerant line is missing a 6-inch section of foam insulation sheathing and should be replaced to conserve energy. The unit was hard wired to a properly covered junction box supplying 220 volts with a 25-amp breaker/shut-off switch. At the time of inspection, the fan was turning at a normal rate of speed and products of condensation were draining properly from a 1” PVC drain pipe. The indoor temperature was set at 73 degrees Fahrenheit and was cooling properly without extended or short cycle operation.

Essay

Geothermal heating and cooling systems

Geothermal heating and cooling systems replace the traditional outdoor unit by using the ground sub-surface soil as an exchange medium to pump heat into or out of a living space. The initial installation costs exceed what a traditional outdoor unit might cost but installation costs can be recouped over a 5 to 10-year period through lower operating costs. Horizontal installation of underground piping represents the least expensive method of installing a residential geothermal heating and cooling unit. This method requires digging a 2-foot trench to a 5-foot depth and running two pipes, side-by-side. This installation method requires availability of sufficient land surrounding the residence.

The CArrier Blue Book was great BUT no longer in PRINT for at least 10 yrs