Using a TIF8800A combustible gas detector

I’ve done 2 paid home inspections and both with all electric and have one with a gas WH and furnace coming up and have not used a gas detector yet
do you just run it along the gas line to see if there is a leak
thanks for any and all replies :slight_smile:
</IMG>

Yes. Try it out on a gas stove top, without lighting the flames, to get a feel for how it works. I generally run it around all of the fittings that are accessible. I also check under the control knobs on gas cooktops, seem to find a fair number of minor leaks there.

Hi to all,

the biggest problem that I come across with my TiFF is around the gas shut off valves, particularly on older homes.

Also a word of caution, the TIFF8800 is very sensitive, make sure you know how to use it properly before taking it on site. I know of many inspectors who have reported false positive readings, and ended up looking pretty foolish.

Regards

Gerry

I was recently asked about calibration and setting the leak detector controls.

I use a disposable butane lighter (depress the release without igniting) outside to test reliability prior to entering for appliance/fittings testing.

Also as part of my gas detection I check the supply entrance fitting and the meter.

Guess on who’s side and where the leak is?

When it’s on the suppliers side I drop a dime while I’m there and tell them it’s marked with blue painters tape :wink:

PR pays dividends!

My Tiff takes a minute or two to calibrate correctly after it has been turned on, so wait for it, then adjust the tone to a fast “click.” Most leaks will be at fittings, connections, and valves, but slowly run it across the flex line as well. I have come across small pin holes in the flex lines. Significant leaks you will smell with your nose before you even get your Tiff out of the box. If only a slight increase in pitch is detected, be careful not to cry wolf. Check it several times.

Always double check it with your nose…especially if there is a new fitting that has been put on. The oils in the TFE paste has a tendancy to set off the TIFF if it’s set too sensitive.

I suggest a douple check of a leak with “Flourescent Leak Detector Soap”. It will buble when sprayed on a leak. This is inexpensive and readily available stuff that lasts for years if not used and works in all temperatures. Not as scientific as my TIF but it works for most leaks.

I have used it mainly when firstr smeeling with my nose.
The tiff is perfect more finding the exact location, with no sloppy water needed.

I may have saved lives a couple of times.

If you suspect a valve control is leaking wrap the control with plastic wrap with the probe under the wrap if the control is leaking the tick rate will slowly increase and then hit alarm level.

We used to use children’s bubble soap too. The kind that comes in a small plastic bottle with a wand for bubbles. It is extremely cheap, non toxic and hey, you can blow some bubbles for the kids while you are there. Dollar store item.