Verbiage for an old Heat Pump

How do you verbalize when a heat pump was manufactured in 1978?? Found water stains at the suspended ceiling panels (maybe at the fan coils?)but couldn’t determine if it is an active leak. Agent is representing her nephew and wants it to be mentioned that it is beyond its life expectancy…I couldn’t agree more.

Unless otherwise just being old, tell your real estate agent to go back and read their own damn real estate contract.

So real estate agents have different standards for their family members?!

If you are not an HVAC service technician, you don’t have nothing to say about it if you turn it on and it makes conditioned air.

Lol, that’s the first thing I thought of when I read it. What a joke.

So a unit manufactured in 1978 has no concerns? Do you mention life expectancy at all? If you are dealing with a first time homebuyer who doesn’t know to think about a unit’s age do you just say “works great?”

Your comment is a bit of a joke Joshua…you’ve known these things all along right? Another reason why these threads are becoming less used by people wanting to sharpen their skills…comments like yours.

So if you couldn’t agree more than say that.

I don’t understand inspectors coming on this message board asking others how to write up what should be a typical comment.
First try writing a comment yourself, that’s how you learn.
If you’re unsure about how your comment is phrased then post it for feedback.
At least it shows you’ve made an effort on your own.

That’s BS, of course you comment on the age of the unit as well as its function.

The HVAC system is functional but beyond its design life. We recommend that you budget for replacement

It’s really that simple.

I have a canned statement in HIP that is highlighted on every inspection I do that has A/C

The average life expectancy of a standard A/C compressor is 15 years give or take. (Notice I stated Average).

Then I use this statement to ID the specific A/C ( The 3 ton split system A/C unit located adjacent to the north exterior wall was MFG in 2004 and was operated from its thermostat.) Then I expect the client to do the math.

In 20 years I have never had these two statements questioned. I personally think your not doing your client a service by not dating equipment. A large amount of my clients ask how old is the furnace/ A/C unit. I provide that information. I take a pic of the A/C unit with disconnect visible, a pic of the furnace with the cover removed and burners operating. I take a pic of both the A/C temp and the furnace temp along with several pics of my CFM meter measuring air flow at the supply registers close to the furnace and the most distant register.

That is my story boys and girls and I’m sticking to it.

Great info, thanks.

Hey Frank you should come to one of our local chapter meetings. You can meet local inspectors and ask question face to face and get straight answers from other inspectors in our market.

We meet the second Tuesday every month at 1201 Greenwood Cliff Road, Charlotte, NC 28204 (Mingle School of Real Estate & CRRA building) 7-9 PM.

Hey Kenneth, will definitely consider that. I appreciate the offer and will reach out to you.

Why not write it up as if you would expect it to be written up if you were buying the house. What would you want the inspector to say.

And anyone else you doesn’t agree…

I have been doing this for 27 Years and I have “not once” condemned an HVAC unit based upon it’s birth certificate!

Not Once, have I received a call about a failed HVAC unit because due to it’s age.

Every day a unit runs, the greater the odds that it will fail for some reason. Most failures can be repaired without replacement of the whole unit. Not always the best decision, but it can be fixed when it breaks.

If you call me because your 20yr old unit failed, and I inspected it and said it was fine…

It was fine at the time I looked at it. Congratulations, you managed to get 20 yrs out of it! What do you want from me? I’m not Jesus Christ. I can not resurrect Lazerous from the tomb!

I tell a crap load of clients not to repair a unit if they end up with a large cost repair. Especially R-22 units that the Government (my buddy Al Gore) decided to halt production of that Refrigerant. Don’t just stop making those units, **** with the people who have to buy a new unit all over 6 oz of needed R-22! I tell them to invest the repair cost towards new equipment.

I have two Heat Pumps that are 18 yrs old.
None of you better come here and tell me they have to be changed because of their age, or I’ll kick your *** all the way to the street (and it’s a long way).

When I come across a really old unit. I tell my clients that they should be serviced twice a year for the rest of their life, or they won’t last long.

And yes, I ask first time buyers (and millionaires just to get a rise out of them) if they can afford to replace the equipment next week after they closed on the house. If their Agent is putting them in that house with every last available dime, it’s not going to be my issue to deal with. ( I don’t get any clients like this, except REA’s kids buying their first house. That’s also why they are calling me. Otherwise they don’t want me anywhere near their clients like that.)!

You know how Gruff I get sometimes! :wink:

If it is as old a Moses, I am addressing the “condition” of the equipment, not it’s age.

Dave ya need to change out both of your HP’s they are older than dirt:p:p:p:p

Please don’t kick my a** Jesus!

Hey now give Dave a break.
He probably can’t afford a couple new units.
Maybe we could take up a collection before he goes all Dirty Harry on somebody who makes a disparaging comment about them.:shock:

Start running old guy! :mrgreen:

Indispensable words of wisdom. 9 times out of 10, this advice makes the complicated, unknowing, unsure, & hesitant, uncomplicated, knowing, sure, & confident.

Of course, if one has ulterior motives, then questions get asked and worry and doubt consumes the rational mind & soul.