Very, very, very old Chrysler Airtemp????

Hey guys,

Question for you. Can anyone tell me the age of this particular furnace? The serial number is 1088. Yup, that’s it.

The model is GG 90. I can tell you the last time the furnace was inspected by the stickers was 1973. The house was built in 1941…is this the original furnace???

Thanks much!! Joe

1088 is from 1971. The first digit is the year for Chrysler Airtemp with that type of four-digit serial number.

Sorry Im confused how do you know this is 1971 and not 1961 or some other year that ends with a 1.

I would say from experience.

Chrysler Air Temp: Age is shown by the first digit of the serial number and corresponds to the last number of the year of manufacturer. Example 0C893745 = 1970. 1 = 1971, 2 = 1972, etc. Use common sense and visual observation to distinguish decades from one another.

Thanks guys for the replies. Here are a few pictures of the furnace in question. Yes, I’ve already noted the asbestos wrapping on the ductwork. The whole structure is covered with the stuff. :shock:

Still think it’s a 71’? Honestly, I was thinking older. This is a duplex and there is basically no airflow out of either furnace. Is there actually a fan in these units? Or does the hot air just rise?

IMG_3081.JPG

Not only experience, but a combination of what you told us. Many, many people when they install a new furnace have it inspected annually. Then, as the furnace guy continues to charge $100 and continues to find nothing wrong, they quit having it inspected annually. So I went with 1971 with the owners ceasing to have it inspected after 1973.

Now if you had told me originally that it was an octopus furnace… Totally different story. Couple that with telling me that the house was built in 1941 and now I’m going with a 1941 build date. Definitely the original furnace.

However, I don’t have a Chrysler Airtemp that far back in my database. The earliest I have is 1964, so this is exciting, indeed, for me and my database. THANKS!

Change the filter and it’ll be fine.

Thanks Russel for all your replies! It is definitely an oldie but a goodie! Still pumping out hot air… Do you think it’s possible to get parts for something this old, or is it a lost cause?

The valve assembly looks relatively new.
Personally, at that age, I would disclaim the heck out it! Recommend immediate and regular inspection.

As you may know that type of furnace works on gravity convection - no fan. I don’t know what the effiency would be on one of those, but I wouldn’t expect it to be very good, maybe 60% - 70%.

RR, you are amazing with your database of ages!

I would bet a margarita that this house was sold sometime between fall of '73 and fall of '74.
:wink:

Me thinks that 60-70% would be Waayyy off [size=2]my freind.[/size]
A conventional draft furnace built in the late 70’s, early 80’s had between 50-55% AFUE, from the factory.

You’d be LUCKY if this furnace got 40% efficiency. It would heat and heat and heat, until the thermostat finaly reached temperature. in those days- drafty houses were actually a help for systems like this!

I’d agree with RR, I believe that this type of furnace was built before the mid 50’s and then manufacturers started adding blower fans to return ducted systems.

Speaking as an HVAC Service Tech ooops forgot semi retired and now teaching hvac part time. State that it needs to be inspected by an hvac company. Most likely there is a heat exchanger crack or rust perforation in the cells.