Wording for not testing AC in cold temperatures

Can someone post their wording for what they say in their inspection reports when the temperatures are too low to test the AC system…The more the better.

Due to low outdoor ambient temperatures, the AC unit was not tested in the cooling mode as this is outside the scope of this inspection. Operating cooling system equipment which has been “shut down” without proper preparation risks costly damage to the compressor or other components. *
As the cooling equipment had clearly been shut down and because the weather temperature in the past 24 hours has been below 60 degrees fahrenheit I was not able to test-operate this equipment. Operating cooling system equipment which has been “shut down” without proper preparation risks costly damage to the compressor or other component

The A/C system(s) are not tested for proper operation when the outside air temperature is 65 degrees or less. Colder temps make it difficult to determine proper function and can potentially damage components of an air conditioner.

Just put to damn cold only a idiot would run a AC at this ridiculous temp. And surely you didn’t hire me because i was stupid. Just Kidding
I agree with above .

It’s too cold to run the air conditioner this time of year. Operating the equipment under these conditions could possibly damage the compressor.

If you must run the air conditioner in wintertime conditions, call David A. Andersen & Assoc. at 615-406-6808 and they will temporarily modify your equipment to run in the wintertime!

Just kidding! Too busy for that type of thing … :|.)

Thanks for the replies…Are any of you making any recommendations in your phrasing? Inevitably I have clients who ask me what they should do to protect themselves since I can’t test the AC system. Do you put in your report that you recommend a licensed HVAC company check the system or that they possibly obtain an extended warranty on the house?

Greg, in most cases the HVAC contractors will not run the air-conditioners in the winter time either.

The ability to test requires installing a heater onto the compressor for a period of time to detach the refrigerant from the oil to prevent oil slugging when the compressor turns on. This oil slugging is what causes damage to reciprocal compressors.

The next obstacle is to overcome the low outdoor ambient temperature. Head pressure controllers make the equipment think that it’s hot outside.

After all this is said and done, the analysis is limited to determine that the components actually functions but that capacity or refrigerant charge cannot be determined as there is an insufficient load on the equipment and differential pressures are obtained artificially.

Extended warranties should be carefully examined as they do not cover “pre-existing conditions” that cannot be evaluated before the policy is put in place.

Though this is a significant concern for all involved, the cost is generally prohibitive.

If you buy a house in the winter time, it is difficult to impossible to know if the air conditioner will work in the spring.

I was recruited as a home inspector by a real estate agent that was “sick and tired” of buying air-conditioners for her clients in the springtime when they purchased their homes in the wintertime.

As I design and operate air conditioning and refrigeration equipment for operation in the state of Alaska, I was recruited because of a back injury that put me out of work.

Seriously, I am not your competition in Nashville and if you would like to give me a call about this I would be more than happy to discuss this further.

In actuality, I have many requests for inspections that I would be more than happy to forward to someone that knows their limitations on home inspection. For a minor consultant fee I will work you through some of these more complex issues over the telephone, as well as providing the referral.

If you want to be the big dog in the Nashville community, you have got to use outside resources.

I work with lawyers, architects and engineers of assorted flavors to address my clients issues. As the majority of my clients are associated with the music industry, they require more of my time than I can afford to give to someone that wants a basic Tennessee regulated home inspection.

I have engineers and architects recruiting me. Therefore I find it necessary to recruit outside inspectors. I will not or cannot hire additional employees in this economic recession/depression.

If I cannot perform to the client’s expectations, I leave the money on the table.

That is a loss to us all.

Get creative …

We were unable to inspect the system due to the outside air temperature being below 60 degrees (operation in cool weather has the potential to damage the compressor). Nothing is known of the absence or presence of any deficiencies in the system,

If this is a concern, you may ask the seller to: (a) warrant the unit for a 1 time start-up by a licensed and competent HVAC contractor in warmer weather; (b) escrow the cost of the AC unit until a licensed and competent HVAC contractor can service and check the unit in warmer weather; © have seller provide a comprehensive warranty covering the unit (including existing conditions); or (d) accept the unit as is.

11 years never a complaint .
I just put to cold to check AC . If I get questioned I state Outside temp should be abouve 65°F 24 hours to run the unit .

I like KIss ,the more info I put down the more questions I get asked …

Where is the 65 °F cut off coming from? Please submit hard proof not just “I was told this , years ago”

Thanks.

I would like to see that too.

The temperature overnight in my service area can vary 10 degrees on the same night. I go by recent temps, present temp and other factors.

Just checked one today with temp around 61.
The performance was really poor too, so I found a valid problem for my client.

Outside air temperature was below 60 degrees. Unable to test system at this time, Inquire with the home owner about the condition of the central air unit.

This picture is from Carson Dunlop home reference book page 243

:slight_smile: testing AC in winter? - Inspecting HVAC Systems - InterNACHI®️ Forum

CARRIER -page 3

Do Not Operate Below 55 F
Your outdoor unit is not designed to operate when outdoor
temperatures are lower than 55_F without modification. If
operation below this temperature is required, consult your Carrier
dealer.

ColdPoint -page2

CNC air conditioners are designed to provide comfort
cooling at outside temperatures above 60 degrees.
Operating the air conditioner below 60 degrees may
cause unit failure and will void the Warranty. If you
have need for cooling at lower outdoor temperatures a
‘low ambient cooling’ option is available. Contact your
local contractor or call the factory.

Every Mfg. has some temp listed in their manuals.

When you run their equipment below their specs, you must add a low ambient kit.

Hay, I thought that if it was posted here, it was the law of the land…?

Christopher,

Thanks!! That is exactly what I was hoping would be posted. I have been arguing against that 65 °F “rule” for about 10 years and have even shown the same proof you did. However most go and run and hide behind the 65 °F rule.

Sorry Mr. and Mrs. Client but is is only 63° F and I CANNOT turn your AC on it is too cold, yet the mall, the hospital and your neighbor’s system is running at this moment with no apparent problems. Call back when it is 66° F and I can test it then.

The afternoon client get their’s inspected/tested, but the a.m. client is sh** out of luck. :smiley:

I had noticed when I signed up for Mike Crows Millionaire package he stated he tested AC units at any temperature. He is from Texas so I am not sure what the coldest temps are in his service area.

I only signed up for a short time and received my money back for various reasons.

Anyone know what Mike Crows millionaire inspectors are doing to test AC units in the winter when temps are below 60-65 degrees?

Just curious as I could never figure out what he was doing.

I typically get a call in the late spring from a previous client asking for me to pay for a new AC unit or service. I then look at there report and review that it was 15 degrees out when I did the inspection in the winter, I did not operate the unit, recommend a warranty with a pre-existing condition. When I go over this with the client the are like :shock: and hang up.

If you know the difference between a scroll and a reciprocal compressor, you can run the scroll with no problems, but maybe not on an old recip…

Not in Ohio anyway…

Type to me Dave, his inspectors use a compressor to test in cold weather?

It is one of his marketing ploys that he states he does but no one else inspects.