cost of doing business for radon inspections - any profit?

I find that here in Virginia we need to be certified as a radon inspector through one of the two national certification organizations (taking a course, test, continuing education, etc.) I figure that just the certification aspect may cost up to $1500/yr. This does not include the hardware, added insurance, marketing, etc. Do these figures seem actual?

I see alot of home inspectors offering radon testing in my area and I can only figure they are losing money. In the past three years I have only been asked for a radon test four times.

How much profit do you think you’re making each year from radon testing? How much do you charge?

Dennis,

I offer Radon here in VA and I have to say it is more a marketing thing than actual profit maker UNLESS you are willing to rattle the cages and promote the hazards of excessive Radon in homes.

The average cost of the Radon test is $ 75.00 which is about average for VA area’s…

The cost to do the training was about 300.00 dollars, and the unit I use ( Sun Nuclear 1027 ) is about 500.00 dollars…but once you have it you own it…$ 125.00 a year to have it calibrated.

Now I don’t push it much…as you also stated I don’t get a lot of call for it, the CE part of it…well just part of life but trust me you can’t fail the test…it is open book at most classes…

I would not say it is 1,500 a year.....more like 350.00 every 2 years…as for the added insurance…I don’t buy added insurance for Radon Testing…and I don’t buy E & O either…call me a rebel…I live on the edge…anyway…I am just being honest here.

If you are VA their is a great place to do the training at George Mason University…The instructor is well known and it is usually on a weekend so it works out fine…but the guy is old…

I think their is just not enough education on Radon to really RAMP it up Dennis…just short of putting an ad in the paper saying " Radon Kills " which is not a lie…just being a bit too alarmist…

Now the CE is 8 hours per year or 16 every 2 years…I find it easier to just do the 16 hours again every 2 years…

BUT they do accept home study and correspondence courses to meet the CE requirements…

Math wise…I would venture to say to make it break even you need to do atleast (20) Radon Tests ( $ 75.00ea) every 2 years to break even…

Hope this helps…