Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Ancillary Inspection Services Contains discussions about Radon, Wood Infestation, Water Quality, Well, Septic, Lead, Asbestos, Pool, and Mold inspections.

Old 9/14/16, 8:21 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR)

I am looking into Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) to offer another service including looking for underground oil tanks and utilities. The investment is very large (approx $11,000 USD) for base model.

Has anyone got into this business? In general, is there a large demand for this type of work? Thank you.

Mark Nicholet
Apple Home Inspections

(250) 618-9127

InterNACHI member
Infrared-Certified
HIABC member
WETT Level 1 Certified
BC Licence # 65349
Need a home inspection in Oklahoma? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Oklahoma certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 9/15/16, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR)

While I have no experience with radar locating devices, I can only speculate that the tool requires a fair amount of interpretation and training, like any diagnostic imager.

You want to devote that much time to an ancillary service? Are you going to start scanning a client's yard looking for abandoned tanks? And then what do you do if you locate one? Are you going into the tank removal business too?

I'm sure your area has valid reasons to find and locate the underground fuel tanks for proper removal, but I can't see that being an adjunct to home inspection, rather a stand alone venture that requires a large amount of resources such as time & money. (Which is fine if that's a direction you want to go, but I'd focus on your core business first-home inspections.)

Dom.

Dominic D'Agostino
Home Pride Inspection Services, Inc.
Longwood, FL 32750
407-260-1533
Old 9/15/16, 12:07 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

I can't see the average home owner paying enough for such a service to recoup such a large investment.
Old 9/15/16, 5:15 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Probably more likely to find a buried pet than anything else.
Let sleeping dogs lie.

There are lots of other ancillary services to offer before GPR.
How about CPR?
Old 9/15/16, 9:32 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Are you a geologist?

You know you can't just shoot that thing off any time/where you please.

"working together to get-IR-done" Chris Walsh
Bracebridge, Ontario:

David A. Andersen & Associates
Clarksville - Nashville Home Inspector Lic#40
http://www.midtninspections.com
ITC Level III Thermographer Cert#1958
Building Science Thermographer Cert#33784
http://www.thermalimagingscan.com
HVAC Certification EPA Cert#2046620
BPI# 5015804
Link to my Website at: http://www.midtninspections.com/link-submission
Old 9/15/16, 11:15 PM

Home Inspector and Construction Craft Worker but I am not a geologist. There is no laws regarding this technology in my area. I have had conversations with the reps. Reps state training course is required. There is a business doing this close by and they charge $275 plus travel per scan. That would make it approx 55 inspections to pay this unit off. Lots of buried oil tanks in pre 1970 construction in my area. Real estate agents are required to recommend a scan with older homes in one of my many jurisdictions. Just curious if others have jumped into this cart or not and what experiences are out there.

Mark Nicholet
Apple Home Inspections

(250) 618-9127

InterNACHI member
Infrared-Certified
HIABC member
WETT Level 1 Certified
BC Licence # 65349
Old 9/16/16, 10:55 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Save some money:

http://www.okmmetaldetectors.com/pro...ms.php?lang=en

Unless you can talk Geologist, GPR is way too much for what you want to use it for. GPR is for contractors that do GPR. Not a Home Inspector looking for some tanks here and there.

Like anything that detects what you can't see, talk with your Insurance Guy. If you send someone digging in the wrong direction you may be looking as some huge liability. PG's carry this insurance, that's why they get $250/scan. A large % of that goes to their Insurance and I'm sure you don't have a $6M liability policy.

I had a business partner that was a PG. He had a hard time justifying getting into GPR for sinkholes and the like. You just looking for a tin can. There is a lot of good equipment that will go that for less.

Quote:
The most significant performance limitation of GPR is in high-conductivity materials such as clay soils and soils that are salt contaminated. Performance is also limited by signal scattering in heterogeneous conditions (e.g. rocky soils).
Other disadvantages of currently available GPR systems include:
  • Interpretation of radargrams is generally non-intuitive to the novice.
  • Considerable expertise is necessary to effectively design, conduct, and interpret GPR surveys.
  • Relatively high energy consumption can be problematic for extensive field surveys.
radar is sensitive to changes in material composition, detecting changes requires movement. When looking through stationary items using surface-penetrating or ground-penetrating radar, the equipment needs to be moved in order for the radar to examine the specified area by looking for differences in material composition. While it can identify items such as pipes, voids, and soil, it cannot identify the specific materials, such as gold and precious gems. It can however, be useful in providing subsurface mapping of potential gem-bearing pockets, or "vugs." The readings can be confused by moisture in the ground, and they can't separate gem-bearing pockets from the non-gem-bearing ones.[
As for regulations:
Quote:
In 2005, the European Telecommunications Standards Institute introduced legislation to regulate GPR equipment and GPR operators to control excess emissions of electromagnetic radiation.[10] The European GPR association (EuroGPR) was formed as a trade association to represent and protect the legitimate use of GPR in Europe.
You can take down an aircraft or mess up boat navigation (the cruse ships at and around Vancover) with GPR.

"working together to get-IR-done" Chris Walsh
Bracebridge, Ontario:

David A. Andersen & Associates
Clarksville - Nashville Home Inspector Lic#40
http://www.midtninspections.com
ITC Level III Thermographer Cert#1958
Building Science Thermographer Cert#33784
http://www.thermalimagingscan.com
HVAC Certification EPA Cert#2046620
BPI# 5015804
Link to my Website at: http://www.midtninspections.com/link-submission
Old 9/16/16, 2:50 PM

Great information. Thank you very much.

Mark Nicholet
Apple Home Inspections

(250) 618-9127

InterNACHI member
Infrared-Certified
HIABC member
WETT Level 1 Certified
BC Licence # 65349