Help with mold problem?

I live in Oklahoma, and have had an on-going issue with the apartment complex that I live in. My apartment flooded in September of 2004, and although the carpet was replaced, they never cleaned up the mess. About six months later, a leak started in the kitchen, and went unrepaired until early in October of 2005. I was given a “new” apartment then, and after much hounding of the management on my part, they eventually called in a mold inspector to inspect both places. I was told that several types of mold were found in the old apartment, but they have refused to show me the reports. My daughter and I have had illnesses on and off for several years, and continue to even now. All of our symptoms fit the ones which fall under the “aspergillus” category, which is indeed one of the types that I was told that was found. We have had bronchitis, ear infections, digestive issues, memory problems, fatigue, headaches, skin rashes, burning eyes, and even nose bleeds.
I have been collecting health records and taking pictures of the process and damages since we began our move into this new apartment back in October. The damage to our personal belongings is extensive, and how much of our health related problems stem from all of this is still unknown to me.
Many pictures can be found here. http://photobucket.com/albums/v362/luv4lestat/heather/Tulsa%20Home/
There are signs of yet more mold issues in this apartment, and I have continued to call this to the attention of the apartment management, but they disregard most of what I say.
Most recently, I have noticed a foul smell which I am certain started in the front bathroom, but which now is all throughout the apartment. As I said, there are definitely signs of possible problems. The most obvious one was this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/luv4lestat/heather/Tulsa%20Home/NewAptMyBathroom.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/luv4lestat/heather/Tulsa%20Home/NAMB5Holeinwall.jpg
They did repair that, if you can call this a repair…
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/luv4lestat/heather/Tulsa%20Home/Allfixed.jpg
That wall was wet and rotting, and they didn’t even bother to dry it out. They just sprayed bleach on it and sealed it up. They obviously didn’t remove anymore of the wall to assess just how bad the damage was either.
I have contacted just about everyone that I can think of in search of help, but I cannot find anyone who seems willing to get involved.
The apartment complex that I live in is managed by HUD Housing, and most of the residents who live here are single mothers with young children who have nowhere to turn with any of this. I personally know of several families who have become ill while they were living here, and to my knowledge not ONE of them has even been told the truth as to why they got sick, much less been reimbursed for any medical expenses or property damage.
If ANYONE can give me any advice as to whom I should contact in order to get this problem addressed, I would be eternally grateful, as I am at a complete loss. I can’t even seem to get any reliable answers on how to attempt to clean my books.
Thank you,
Heather

leagaly, most of us can’t comment.

but try the Board of Health to get you started.

I appreciate your answer. Sadly, I have already been down that road. Perhaps you can help me in another way then? One, I understand why the people who are involved directly cannot comment, but I am curious as to why nobody can? I was under the impression that there wasn’t a law set at a federal level yet…
But if nothing else, perhaps one of you can give me advice of a different sort. Something which doesn’t involve any sort of legalities, just some advice from someone who has experience in dealing with this sort of thing.
I am an avid book lover, and most of my books have been damaged. I don’t have the heart to throw them away, and yet I haven’t had any success in cleaning them either. Any suggestions?
I’ll show you a few examples, and to my knowledge, I can tell you that I suspect the aspergillus is what’s on most of them. It is orange, and splotchy, and makes your eyes burn if you mess with them for too long.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/luv4lestat/heather/Tulsa%20Home/Books/SSC5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/luv4lestat/heather/Tulsa%20Home/Books/SSC3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/luv4lestat/heather/Tulsa%20Home/Books/DCFC0010.jpg
Thanks again.
Heather

Contact the press, be it news radio, paper, television. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Get your neighbours support. Strength in numbers.

Actually, I have tried that too. But there may be a few places that I have missed. I’ll give it another go. Thank you.
Heather

It’s been my experiance that most apartment owners won’t replace or reenburse for personal property, they’ll tell you that you should have renters insurance (it’s only about $100 a year up here). as for the damage to the unit, usualy mentioning the Board of Health, or saying that you’ve seeked leagal council (which won’t be a lie if you just call any lawyer and ask about the situation) usualy gets results. sorry i can’t help more, but not knowing the situation first hand, and not being hire to do so, i realy can’t give you anything else. sorry and good luck Stacy. hope it all works out for ya.

Has your doctor suggested anything? And have you contacted a lawyer to discuss this problem? If your physical problems are due to mold, the longer you wait, the more exacerbatted your condition will become. Make an inquiry to an attorney just to get information as to what steps to take.

Good Luck.

Put a big placard on your car with the Landlords name and the problem you are having with mold and health related issues, drive it around town, and park it infront of the Landlords office, and go park infront of the local press.

Start a website with photos, and the problems, put the website on your placard.

You won’t be able to get insurance after the fact.

Stacy,

Start making phone calls, right here…
](http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/state/Oklahoma)

Click on “your city” then click on “Mold”

Good Luck

Well, of course, you could just hire a competent Industrial Hygienist, microbiologist or mycologist, since these are the kinds of projects that we handle … but then, I may be a little biased in making that recommendation, eh?

Cheers,
Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

Oh wow! THANK YOU!!!
There are literally thousands of lawyers in the Tulsa area phone book, and I had in fact contacted a few, but none of them seemed interested in the case. With the huge amount of proof that I have, this seemed very odd to me. As there are only sixteen listed in my area on that site, it’s no wonder that I had been unable to find the right ones. Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Heather

Oh wow! THANK YOU!!!
There are literally thousands of lawyers in the Tulsa area phone book, and I had in fact contacted a few, but none of them seemed interested in the case. With the huge amount of proof that I have, this seemed very odd to me. As there are only sixteen listed in my area on that site, it’s no wonder that I had been unable to find the right ones. Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Heather

If all else fails, I will do exactly that. Thank you for the suggestion.
:wink: Heather

My doctor gave me a bunch of prescription allergy medicine, and antibiotics when the need has arisen, and refuses to do a blood test on either myself or my daughter, despite the OBVIOUS fact that it should be done. I have lost count of how many times we have been in for office visits, but in the last five years, we have made 17 trips to the emergency room, twice with my daughter in an ambulance because of seizures. And because of our insurance, we haven’t been able to switch doctors. O_o
Heather

laughs Yeah, I tried that too, but alas, I can’t afford you guys. wink
Heather

Find a new doctor. He should be finding the cause not treating the symptoms! That is unacceptable, and you should tell him so! He is playing with your well being. Prescribing antibiotics is dumb too. He may be actually weakening your immune system by prescribing antibiotics.

Heather,

Any luck with the Mold attorney’s list I sent?

Heather, you need to get a new doctor and have it confirmed you and your daughter’s health problems are caused by exposure to mold, get it documented for your attorney and give a copy to your landlord. Good luck!

Not yet, but you know how lawyers are towards the end of the week. :roll: I will be back on them bright and early Monday morning. wink

As for my doctor… I have two thoughts on that, and I am not sure which would be better. One, I can call our insurance company AGAIN and insist that I am given a new doctor, but I am concerned that a new doctor may do the same thing. Two- I could just take my daughter with me to the hospitol, and insist on the blood test there. I know that the doctor would have to send the samples to a lab anyway, so perhaps that would be the best way to handle it anyway. What do you guys think? Cut out the middle man all together?
Heather