Meth Course

Does anyone know if nachi has a course on testing for meth?
Thanks, Tom

Not yet.

Environmental Solutions Association has one though.

I developed a Meth course for home inspectors. I never marketed it.

Meth testing involves a direct and deadly link between poisons and human health.

I am reluctant to introduce it, because it concentrates on the physiological dangers, and telltale signs, as opposed to testing modalities for the HI.

Most HIs interested n this line, are interested in the testing-for-profit aspect. My belief is that there is far too great a chance for mistake, opening the inspector up for a lawsuit.

The CD covers include the photo of the guy from the movie Eraserhead.

I thought it was the right image.

[quote=“jfarsetta, post:3, topic:48463”]

Most HIs interested n this line, are interested in the testing-for-profit aspect. My belief is that there is far too great a chance for mistake, opening the inspector up for a lawsuit.

[quote]

Home inspections and mold testing are no different. A lot of inspectors are in it just for the money and they do not care what happens to the consumer. Sad but true.

James,

The scary truth about meth poisoning is that many of the original clandestine meth lab unit investigators from the DEA are horribly ill from exposure.

Not to minimize the effects of mold, but meth poisoning is far less controversial, and far more established.

I wouldnt want to be the inspector who “clears” a house where the client gets ill from exposure to residual toxins from meth production.

There are many formulas for producing meth, which includes cooked and non-cooked recipes.

Mold lawsuits will look look a walk in the park.

Absent of proper training, and established protocols, the inspector paints a huge target on himself, IMO.

Scary indeed.

wOW!

So what is the solution? Just the other day I was talking to a maintenance man of some government housing. They could not find anybody to perform meth testing, so he took it upon himself to perform the testing with a home test kit. Untrained person using a home test kit to clear a home. Cowering and letting the unsuspecting consumer get hurt is not a solution. Sad but true.

I would suggest finding out who is authorized to test in your state. I actualy called and talked with one guy who was certified with the state of Tn. He instructed me that only state licensed tester were allowed to properly perform any testing. If I wanted to do testing I would have to make it clear to the customer that my testing could be inconclusive and if any results were found then the state would have to take over for it to be properly documented if they wanted it cleaned up correctly. State testing can be very expensive, so you better want the house bad. It is kind of a crap shoot for a HI to perform test, and you better be clear that your test is to only humor the client.

My state does not have state testing.

I would be scared to do the wipes. I think I would want my testing to be processed by a lab. I feel safer when everything is through a third party. My Industrial Hygienist will not even analyzed his own samples that he takes when he feels it will be a mold lawsuit involved. He sends them to EMSL.