Need Imput

Is this mold or some of the plywood laminate coming off. Know the cause and solutions but just wondering if their might be a mold concern here if the ventilation is corrected and the attic stays dry? How would some of you guys comment on this?

14-04-2006  70 (Small).JPG

When in Doubt, Refer Out.

Are you allowed by the state to comment on mold?
Is that a growth or is that delamination of the decking?

David

If the leak is cured or the ventilation problem is fixed the deterioration may be dormant, but as soon as the water source and right temps reappear it will reactivate.

In my opinion I would be looking at further investigation into two areas. Those are adequate soffit and roof ventilation, and ensure there is no exhaust fan or ceiling fixture allowing warm moist area into this area.

It could be mould, and then again who knows, but it looks dead, whatever it is. :wink:

It looks to me like there was a film of some sort on there and is now dried up and flaking off. It may have been from a water leak or excessive moisture in the attic. I would certainly recommend further investigation.

Roy, from your photo it looks like delamination to me. Doug

i agree. that’s not an “organic growth” that i’ve ever seen. looks like some kind of substance peeling off after some water damage. sometimes when plywood is shipped it’s slid across assembly tables, loading devices and what not. perhaps somewhere along the line it was slid agross some plastic and it rubbed off with friction. my lumber gurue tells me that shrink wrap can leave a residue if it gets wet, or too much sun. just a guess.:wink:

After 35 years in the lumber business, my guess is it not delamination.

I agree, It appears that some previous water leak has been fixed and the film of mould has dried up and is now flaking away.

I’m totaly with you on the water damage part, but i’m not farmiliar with a type of organic growth, mold or other wise that would react that way. i’v only seen white mold, that looks like spider webbing, the blackish kind that dries to a carbonish dust, and brown colored mold that also is powdery. I’m by no means an expert, not would i say with any confidence that it isn’t mold, or some thing, i’m just sceptical (yet to be educated) on that being a mold. i’v also seen the same thing in attics that have had water damage, but was never thinking it was organic. I’d love to know for sure what it is, as would all of us. some literature would be nice. i googled it and found nothing.

Jay, you & I seem to be on the same wave link.Can a sample be placed in a zip lock bag & sent to the lab? I’m curious. Doug

the lab i use would test it. they’d charge me, but they do a full spectrum analasys and tell me how old, and what it is. what caused it? well that’d be our job. “the world may never know”. it’ll be right up there with “how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a Tootsie Pop”.

This is just my best guess. I would certainly recommend following up by a licensed, certified, competent mould investigation professional.:mrgreen: There, that should cover my a$$.

Just a follow up on the original post. I went back to check a plumbing leak after they moved a ton of stuff so I could get at it. Asked if the closet was still open to go up in the attic and get a sample, that’s when I was asked to leave =; . The buyer wasn’t too happy, I don’t think there is going to be a sale here. At least I will get to do the next one. From now on I will take the advice above and carry something to take samples right away. Someone suggested baggies, would that be acceptable? Have a good day!</IMG>

baggies would be fine. the lab will eliminate any substances found on your hands, tools and in baggies in the results. but more better is to go to your local analytical lab (if you have one) and they’ll give you sample jars (with a label on it) for you to document where, when and what you sampled. the jars and kits are free, analysing them is what they charge you for. my lab set me up with 2 of everything (radon air, radon water, water quality etc.).