Non Professional Radon Kits

Awhile back I saw a post that mentioned the Radon kits that the health departments give out (which I think come from air check) don’t have the same controls in place for quality assurance from the lab. Does anyone have any expereince on this? I have a number of realtors in my area doing Radon testing and they have not been trained. They are using the blue “home owner” kits.

First off, what does Michigan have to say about it?

Larry is right. Here in part, is what Michigan says: "The two national organizations are the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) and the National Radon Safety Board (NRSB). The DEQ Indoor Radon Program or your local health department can provide you with lists of measurement and mitigation service providers certified by these organizations, or you can visit the organization websites for the most complete and up-to-date information:
NRPP
NRSB

The DEQ has no regulatory authority over radon testers or mitigators, and does not conduct audits or inspect their work. This presents a “Buyer Beware” situation. As with any other home improvement, you are encouraged to choose a radon contractor with care. Get more than one estimate, ask for references, and compare proposals, not only with each other, but also with the existing standards or guidelines. (Choosing an individual certified by NEHA or the NRSB helps assure that the person is trained and knowledgeable, but you should dig deeper to ensure that he/she is the right person for the job.)

The EPA Consumer’s Guide to Radon Reduction provides more information about selecting a contractor, and the Radon Mitigation Standards offer detail about installing safe and affordable radon mitigation systems. Both documents can be found online at the EPA radon publications website or they can be obtained from your local health department. Copies are also available by calling the Michigan Indoor Radon Program at 800-RADON GAS/800-723-6642.

Want to become a tester or mitigator?
If you’re interested in becoming a professional tester or mitigator, information about training and/or certification can be obtained at the NRPP or NRSB websites, and at the Midwest Universities Radon Consortium website.

Additionally, you may take online radon measurement and radon mitigation courses offered through Kansas State University in conjunct with the Midwest Universities Radon Consortium.

As noted above, Michigan does not license or otherwise regulate radon testers or mitigators, but many of your clients will be interested in whether or not you are certified. Sometimes those added credentials can make a difference as to whether you get hired for the job or one of your competitors is chosen instead."

So, back to my question: since no training is required, and since a number of Reators in my area are doing radon testing and using the Blue kits from air Chek, and since I’ve read posts here that someone had sent in tests kits that were expired and they were still tested, I wonder if they audit them with the same protocol and control testing, confidence intervals ect…

I will give air chek a call on this as well, but I was hoping someone had some personal expereince with this.

If the blue kits have only one device they would not meet the established protocol for a test associated with Real Estate.

I have used the Aircheck RED tests for 10 years. A valid test requires 2 be used.

I have no concerns for their accuracy as they meet the guideline requirements.

Yes, you’re right Michael. But, I think the local heath departments here only give out one kit (blue kit) at a time. I’ll call air check and post what I find out.

That’s fine for a home owner.

No go for a test used for a real estate transaction which requires 2 packets or the use of an approved CRM under a QA program…

That’s what I thought. The issue is that local realtors are using them for real estate transactions.

Not smart for them.

Air check confirmed the only time one kit is valid (for real estate transaction) is when there is an existing mitigation system in place.
Thanks for your help Michael.