Suspected fungus

There was a white substance on engineered joist in a crawlspace It seemed to be in the depressions where the beams were drawn through the manufacturing machine. The crawlspace had indications of past excessive moisture and the vents were closed at the time of inspection.
Any ideas on if this is fungus or something else and is sampling for microbes warranted?

What was the moisture reading? You did take a reading right?
Just write up as organic material caused by past or present moisture issues . Recommend treatment . Also mention Insulation should be removed during treatment . Moisture issues should be address first .

Unless you are certified in mold, just note the mold is present and to have a mold assessor contacted.

Would it not be more prudent to refer to it as “possible microbial growth”? I’m thinking calling it out as “mold” without knowing that it is indeed mold might leave one open to accusations of overstepping one’s training/certification.

You said there was moisture issues…past? lol, what does that mean??? On that note, you saw white substance on joists that is likely a result of those moisture issues, and yes, that’s likely a type of mold. And, like Wayne alluded to, did you take moisture measurements?

Closed vents…good! Keep them that way! Also, address all of the moisture issues, throw that fiberglass batt insulation in the trash where it belongs and properly insulate the rim joists and top portion of foundation, and then clean off/get rid of/remediate the mold and you’re good to go…no more conducive environment for that white stuff to grow on the joists.

It is mold.

“possible microbial growth”?

Chicken ****.

You know what it is but too afraid to say it.

Looks like a Duck, Walks like a Duck, Licks like a Duck,
must be mold. Well he did Lick? :mrgreen::wink: it didn’t he

I have an update to this tread. A sample was collected and analyzed.

The results are now in and as we felt in our gut it is in fact mold.

Lots of things can look like mold yet not be. Mold comes in many shapes, sizes, colors, and configurations. Mildew, mold, fungus, and other forms of microbial growth share many things (including appearance) in common.

If I call something out as “mold”, I had better be able to answer the following:

What kind of mold is it?
Is it hazardous to one’s health?
What caused it?
How do I get rid of it?

The minute I identify such growth as mold, mildew, or fungus, I am claiming a certain level of expertise. Perhaps one day when I get some specific training and certification in that area I will feel comfortable doing so. In the meantime, I will avoid making a determination that I am not qualified to make.

If that makes me a chicken**** in your book, I don’t really mind that. Better that than getting my butt sued off for making an inaccurate identification.

Which is exactly the right way to handle it.