Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Ancillary Inspection Services Contains discussions about Radon, Wood Infestation, Water Quality, Well, Septic, Lead, Asbestos, Pool, and Mold inspections.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 1/12/15, 2:13 PM
Paul Lesieur's Avatar
Paul Lesieur Paul Lesieur is online now
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Oaks, Minnesota
Posts: 4,578
Default Thermal Imaging

As I get ready to earn my IR certification I have been paying attention to threads on IR inspections. What I find contrary to being in business is the large number of inspectors who pay for training, buy an expensive camera and give the service away. I was asked by a buyer if I would do IR during my inspection and although I didn't have a camera or even know what IR was about I said if I did it would be $150.00 more, they declined and all went well.

For you guys that give it away, how do you feel this is helping your business, plus if for free do you consider the camera a cost that you eat and what do you tell your buddies who charge for the service?
Reply With Quote
Need a home inspection in Iowa? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Iowa certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
  #2  
Old 1/12/15, 2:16 PM
Frank Rotte's Avatar
Frank Rotte Frank Rotte is online now
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bonsall, CA, home of the Lilac Fire
Posts: 8,051
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

I think you're going to see it as the standard in the future. It will be expected.




Certified Inspection Services, LLC
5521 Mission Road #1422, Bonsall, CA 92003
San Diego Home Inspection
Like me on Facebook
Plus 1 on Google Plus
Award Winning Sample Report
Check out my blog
Yelp Page
Temecula Home Inspection
Check out the HG User Group on FB
ITC Certified Level I Thermographer
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 1/12/15, 2:22 PM
Robin Wells Robin Wells is offline
Certified Master Inspector ®
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 935
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by frotte View Post
I think you're going to see it as the standard in the future. It will be expected.
Frank, I think you are right. And if enough do it, it will eventually be expected of us.. and if you do not perform at that point then could have liabilities.

Unfortunately it is the same anywhere we stretch beyond the SOP.



Robin Wells, CMI
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Wells Home Inspection Services
Midland, Ontario, Canada
RAW Chimney Cleaning & WETT Inspections
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 1/12/15, 2:36 PM
Greg W. Mathias, CCHI, CMI's Avatar
Greg W. Mathias, CCHI, CMI Greg W. Mathias, CCHI, CMI is offline
Certified Master Inspector ®
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lloydminster,Ab
Posts: 3,272
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

I do not charge my clients an extra fee for the service. It is expected in my area to the point if you do not have one you will not get hired. What I do though is add it into my cost. My competition has a base fee of about $400.00. My fee starts at 450.00. I would like to get more but I will price myself out of the market if I do.



Greg Mathias, CCHI
Journeyman Carpenter
Level I Thermographer
Certified Master Inspector
Global Property Inspections
(780)205-9912
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 1/12/15, 2:51 PM
Paul Lesieur's Avatar
Paul Lesieur Paul Lesieur is online now
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Oaks, Minnesota
Posts: 4,578
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

I think its crazy to go beyond the SOP and not get paid, I understand the need to compete but most people shop price and then maybe consider value.

Like free estimates from contractors. I still do estimates and sell remodeling on a will call basis for a couple of guys and I tell the people an estimate is $200.00. Many say forget it but enough say ok, its enough to keep me charging for estimates. Free estimates keep contractors from being perceived as professionals as real professionals charge for their time and experience.

So I'm guessing free thermography does not include a report, or a short report at best. I understand offering it, I just don't get buying a $5000 camera and not having the client pay for it.

By the way, I have a home inspection coming up for a thermographer, should be a good opportunity to ask a couple of questions like "how much do you charge for services."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 1/12/15, 4:17 PM
David A. Andersen, TN HI# 40's Avatar
David A. Andersen, TN HI# 40 David A. Andersen, TN HI# 40 is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 10,303
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Do not even pay attention to the morons that give it away. (Other than to watch for their camera to come up on eBay).

They should not be your competition, nor should you wast your time on what they do.

You should easily make $500 for an initial site assessment and $1,600/day (site and report work) or stick with your day job.

Most thermographers (like you find at Infraspection when you go) will not get in the car for less than $2,000.00. Ask Jim his opinion.

A Thermographer and a Home Inspector with a Thermal Camera are not the same thing.
It's up to you to decide which one you want to be.

Let the Homies with cameras spread the word about IR and you focus on doing the job right. Your clients (willing to pay the invoice) will know the difference. This is not 2001 any more.



"working together to get-IR-done" Chris Walsh
Bracebridge, Ontario:


David A. Andersen & Associates
Clarksville - Nashville Home Inspector Lic#40
http://www.midtninspections.com
ITC Level III Thermographer Cert#1958
Building Science Thermographer Cert#33784
http://www.thermalimagingscan.com
HVAC Certification EPA Cert#2046620
BPI# 5015804
Link to my Website at: http://www.midtninspections.com/link-submission
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2/11/15, 1:20 PM
Jason E. Haggard's Avatar
Jason E. Haggard Jason E. Haggard is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 152
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandersen View Post
Do not even pay attention to the morons that give it away. (Other than to watch for their camera to come up on eBay).

They should not be your competition, nor should you wast your time on what they do.

You should easily make $500 for an initial site assessment and $1,600/day (site and report work) or stick with your day job.

Most thermographers (like you find at Infraspection when you go) will not get in the car for less than $2,000.00. Ask Jim his opinion.

A Thermographer and a Home Inspector with a Thermal Camera are not the same thing.
It's up to you to decide which one you want to be.

Let the Homies with cameras spread the word about IR and you focus on doing the job right. Your clients (willing to pay the invoice) will know the difference. This is not 2001 any more.
Truer words were never spoken!! Listen to Mr. Andersen he knows what he is talking about!





Jason E. Haggard
AAA Complete Home Inspections, L.L.C.
www.aaahome-inspections.com
Office Phone: (615)801-4981
State of Tennessee Licensed HI, #1164
Certified Mold Inspector (CMI) #81791, Mold Inspection Consulting and Remediation Organization
Certified Level I Thermographer #83891, Infrared Training Center

"This is no dress rehearsal. We are professionals, and this is the big time." -Waylon Jennings
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2/11/15, 1:51 PM
Bob Elliott's Avatar
Bob Elliott Bob Elliott is online now
InterNACHI Applicant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37,512
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by plesieur View Post
As I get ready to earn my IR certification I have been paying attention to threads on IR inspections. What I find contrary to being in business is the large number of inspectors who pay for training, buy an expensive camera and give the service away. I was asked by a buyer if I would do IR during my inspection and although I didn't have a camera or even know what IR was about I said if I did it would be $150.00 more, they declined and all went well.

For you guys that give it away, how do you feel this is helping your business, plus if for free do you consider the camera a cost that you eat and what do you tell your buddies who charge for the service?
Paul first ask yourself why you are doing it .
Bear in mind your answers here will all be from enthusiasts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2/11/15, 2:45 PM
Paul Lesieur's Avatar
Paul Lesieur Paul Lesieur is online now
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Oaks, Minnesota
Posts: 4,578
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott View Post
Paul first ask yourself why you are doing it .
Bear in mind your answers here will all be from enthusiasts.
Easy Bob, I am doing thermography because when I get good at it I will be offering a value added service. Another reason is why be average? An inspector who offers more than the average service will be in higher demand than the "Shake and Bake" guys, you might be marketing to a smaller group but still be likely to make more money.

Mercedes automobiles didn't worry when the Yugo came out, wasn't their customer base.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2/11/15, 3:02 PM
Bob Elliott's Avatar
Bob Elliott Bob Elliott is online now
InterNACHI Applicant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37,512
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by plesieur View Post
Easy Bob, I am doing thermography because when I get good at it I will be offering a value added service. Another reason is why be average? An inspector who offers more than the average service will be in higher demand than the "Shake and Bake" guys, you might be marketing to a smaller group but still be likely to make more money.

Mercedes automobiles didn't worry when the Yugo came out, wasn't their customer base.
Easy Bob ?....I was simply asking you to ask yourself.
I am not that excitable...lol

Personally I am busy as I want to be and offer zero aux services.
Do not even market anymore.

Just sayin.

Had a guy ask me this morning if I do Mold testing and IR but that happens maybe two or three times a year and to be honest they usually use me anyway as specialty offerings are just that and gadgets do not make the Inspection ....the Inspector does.IMO

The above being said most clients only ask about aux services because other sites make them think they are needed and if they actually are needed I refer one of my buddies that can do them same as a Plumber or other Contractor.

Bear in mind in Chicago people love exposed walls so toss out r value automatically.

Mold testing is actually advised against by the state [ we have all had that debate ].

Radon in Chicago is rare as we have clay based soil near the lake.[ its when you go into the burbs ]

Last edited by belliott; 2/11/15 at 3:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2/11/15, 3:11 PM
Paul Lesieur's Avatar
Paul Lesieur Paul Lesieur is online now
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Oaks, Minnesota
Posts: 4,578
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Yeah, easy in that I wanted to do IR.

When I was a contractor I earned a few certs and did it for me as I rarely brought it up but IR is interesting to me and I wanted to learn about it.

Naw, didn't see you as excitable, specially not after I watched the video of you strolling round the Chicago landscape, Mr Mellow is how you appear.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2/11/15, 8:27 PM
Ian W. Mayer, CMI's Avatar
Ian W. Mayer, CMI Ian W. Mayer, CMI is online now
Certified Master Inspector ®
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,550
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by frotte View Post
I think you're going to see it as the standard in the future. It will be expected.
That's my thought as well. So many are doing it, at least in my area, it seems silly to not take the class and get into a good camera.

And once I took the initial class, I found the science behind it just completely fascinating.

Sure it's an added expense, and the ROI is going to take a while longer than if I was a plain home inspector, but man, compared to the cost of opening a restaurant, or retail store, or any other of a myriad of self-employed job possibilities, the class and camera is relatively cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2/11/15, 10:17 PM
Jason E. Haggard's Avatar
Jason E. Haggard Jason E. Haggard is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 152
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayer View Post
That's my thought as well. So many are doing it, at least in my area, it seems silly to not take the class and get into a good camera.

And once I took the initial class, I found the science behind it just completely fascinating.

Sure it's an added expense, and the ROI is going to take a while longer than if I was a plain home inspector, but man, compared to the cost of opening a restaurant, or retail store, or any other of a myriad of self-employed job possibilities, the class and camera is relatively cheap.
Great post!!





Jason E. Haggard
AAA Complete Home Inspections, L.L.C.
www.aaahome-inspections.com
Office Phone: (615)801-4981
State of Tennessee Licensed HI, #1164
Certified Mold Inspector (CMI) #81791, Mold Inspection Consulting and Remediation Organization
Certified Level I Thermographer #83891, Infrared Training Center

"This is no dress rehearsal. We are professionals, and this is the big time." -Waylon Jennings
Reply With Quote
Need a home inspection in Iowa? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Iowa certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
  #14  
Old 2/12/15, 12:07 AM
Chuck Evans, TREC 7657's Avatar
Chuck Evans, TREC 7657 Chuck Evans, TREC 7657 is online now
Certified Master Inspector ®
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Stagecoach, TX
Posts: 8,823
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Professionals are sought out for their knowledge and skill and get paid for their services.

I'm a professional Home Inspector and I'm a professional Thermographer. I get paid to perform home inspections and I get paid to perform infrared thermography. Often times I get paid to do both at the same house on the same day, for the same client, but it is a separate service. Thermography is not a subset of the home inspection SOP.

Those that do not get paid for their services are amateurs. There are plenty of home inspectors who are amateur infrared camera owners and they charge the appropriate fee for what they do with their equipment.

If you probe a bit, you will find a marked difference in how a professional Thermographer goes about performing a paid thermography inspection of a residential property from what an amateur infrared camera owner does in their inspection.

Just as buying a point and shoot digital camera does not make one a professional photographer, simply buying a cheap infrared imager does not make one a professional thermographer. Nobody seeks out the neighborhood kid with a point and shoot digital camera to photograph their wedding, they seek out a professional photographer.

Home inspectors who are amateur infrared camera owners and perform their service for free are not our competitors. I have absolutely no problem marketing paid thermography services against free "thermal scans" by amateur imager owners.

Those inspectors who treat their infrared imager as just another tool in the bag that helps them be better home inspectors (a perfectly valid approach IMO), should just go about quietly using it as another tool, without hoopla and fanfare. They really shouldn't advertise infrared thermography services for the same reason that they don't advertise that they perform photography services because they happen to use a digital camera in the course of performing their home inspection.

If you advertise a service, you owe it to your clients to have the equipment, competence and methodology deliver a professional level of service.



Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)
Level III Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer (#8402)
HomeCert Houston Home Inspections & Thermal Inspections Find us on Facebook
Houston Thermal Inspections & Infrared Imaging Find us on Facebook
TheWoodlandsHomeInspection.com


Houston, TX
_______________________
Awards Committee Member

SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2/12/15, 5:04 AM
Kenneth A. Ramm Kenneth A. Ramm is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Glarus, WI
Posts: 3,783
Default Re: Thermal Imaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans View Post
Professionals are sought out for their knowledge and skill and get paid for their services.

I'm a professional Home Inspector and I'm a professional Thermographer. I get paid to perform home inspections and I get paid to perform infrared thermography. Often times I get paid to do both at the same house on the same day, for the same client, but it is a separate service. Thermography is not a subset of the home inspection SOP.

Those that do not get paid for their services are amateurs. There are plenty of home inspectors who are amateur infrared camera owners and they charge the appropriate fee for what they do with their equipment.

If you probe a bit, you will find a marked difference in how a professional Thermographer goes about performing a paid thermography inspection of a residential property from what an amateur infrared camera owner does in their inspection.

Just as buying a point and shoot digital camera does not make one a professional photographer, simply buying a cheap infrared imager does not make one a professional thermographer. Nobody seeks out the neighborhood kid with a point and shoot digital camera to photograph their wedding, they seek out a professional photographer.

Home inspectors who are amateur infrared camera owners and perform their service for free are not our competitors. I have absolutely no problem marketing paid thermography services against free "thermal scans" by amateur imager owners.

Those inspectors who treat their infrared imager as just another tool in the bag that helps them be better home inspectors (a perfectly valid approach IMO), should just go about quietly using it as another tool, without hoopla and fanfare. They really shouldn't advertise infrared thermography services for the same reason that they don't advertise that they perform photography services because they happen to use a digital camera in the course of performing their home inspection.

If you advertise a service, you owe it to your clients to have the equipment, competence and methodology deliver a professional level of service.
Well said.



Kenneth (Kenny) Ramm
608-438-3986
RammHomeInspections@gmail.com
Wisconsin License 2516-106
InterNACHI #12101905
Level II Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer #10786

"If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or objects." Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mold Inspectors in Coeur d’Alene, ID 83815 rspriggs Ancillary Inspection Services 17 8/11/15 4:43 PM
Ohio I know we can do it cbottger Thermal Imaging, Infrared Cameras & Energy Audits 0 12/26/08 1:31 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 6:44 PM.
no new posts