Are 2 TPRV's as good as 1?

Yes, I know it’s Poly-Butyl, with both copper and silver crimp rings, and there is no 18 " copper stub on the cold supply, no shutoff either. I know there is no conduit on the supply wire, but it’s in a cabinet, mobile home. My question is, is it OK to have Two TPR valves? Yes, I know there is no discharge tube on the second valve, but that is not the question. :stuck_out_tongue:
This was a professional install BTW, hey, we can’t all be Einsteins. :stuck_out_tongue:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca

tank1.jpg

You are going to find poly in most mobile homes. Poly that is used in mobile homes is not eligible for replacement. Visit this site for more info.

www.pbpipe.com

John, my answer would be no, but I am not a plumbing expert by far.

I would suggest to anyone in this business to watch this Nachi TV segment.

Very well put together by Kenton Shepard and Staff.

http://www.nachi.tv/ppv/8

Hope this helps.

Marcel :):smiley:

Just to play this fantasy

If there were 10 TPR valves it would not change the amount of pressure it takes for them to blow.

Yes they would have slight variation in trigger, and one would blow before the others knew what was happening.

Therefore in theory , it would not matter how many TPR valves are attached.

There has got to be a joke in there somewhere.:slight_smile:

I thought for a long time Bob and although it seems like a perfect spot for a joke I couldn’t come up with one. I can’t think of one reason to have even 2 TPRV’s in line. The first one (closest to the WH) will most like pop first.

There is no problem with having multiple TPR’s on a tank, as long as at least one of them is installed properly.

The valve on top appears to be mounted on top of an extension (another fitting) which is improper. A TPR valve is required to be a specific depth within the tank.

I can’t see how/where the side valve is mounted, so I can’t comment other than to say it’s missing its discharge piping.

The top tprv is usually seen on a storage tank to prevent scalding water from entering the system. The thought here may be the above purpose or to hopefully get any water that discharges from the system to the exterior of the home (assuming that is where the discharge pipe is going) or both.

“The valve on top appears to be mounted on top of an extension (another fitting) which is improper. A TPR valve is required to be a specific depth within the tank.”
For a storage tank senario it is set up properly. Personally I have never seen or heard of it on a water tank. You’d have to check with your local code to see if this is accepable.At the moment I cannot find anything on it.

Found something according to Watts.
http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/watersafety_flowcontrol/support/support_t-p.asp

hope this helps.

Thanks, Jeff. The second valve is down on the right side, mounted the proper depth and therefore would probably blow first if the temperature got too high. The top one would discharge thru the hole in the floor, mobile home, if it ever blew, still possible from a pressure buildup I think.

Thank you, Gerry. Correct depth = 6" into the tank.

Thanks, Jeff. The second valve is down on the right side, mounted the proper depth and therefore would probably blow first if the temperature got too high. The top one would discharge thru the hole in the floor, mobile home, if it ever blew, still possible from a pressure buildup I think.

Thank you, Gerry. The top valve may well be the extended type designed for this type of installation.