Anyone seen this before?

I came across this not flexible but rubber trap today. Anyone no if this is an approved type of trap?

DSCF4166.jpg

It’s a flexible quick trap by Fernco: http://www.fernco.com/FT.asp

I don’t know that it is approved by jurisdictions yet, though.

You can make it, you can sell it, but you cant use it. All drain disposal pipe are supposed to be made of rigids material. This goes for those ribbed pipes also.

As Doug says below, they can be used for temproary repairs only. Some people just dont know the difference between temporary and permanent.

Ive seen it used before and I wrote it up as a temporary repair at best. That’s my opinion and Im sticking to it. The seller even went so far as to say it was temorary after the inspection and said he had planned on replacing it but “he fergot” and didn’t get around to it. Im just lucky I guess.

I write up those for replacement, as well as the flexible accordian drains.

Mark

A Trap should also have a cleanout plug min. 3/4" located at lowest point of the trap.

This is definitely not an approved Trap.

Traps here don’t require a cleanout plug.

No plugs here either. I did call it out, I just wanted to know if anyone else has seen these as this was the first one like this that I have found.

Mario,

Do you have a code reference for this “definitely not an approved trap”?
The installation may be permissable for use in open and accessible areas, like
under the kitchen or bathroom sink. The whole unit can be removed for cleaning if necessary by way of those clamps. There are other examples of plumbing fittings that are allowed for open/accessible areas but not allowed to be used in concealled locations.

Sorry!

Roy

Code 7.2.3.1. [3] [a]

Roy

In no way is this an approved trap here in Ontario.They do sell it here but can’t be used.[anywhere]

Yes!

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10302

My house had one and it worked fine. I replaced it with a metal one. Lots of DIYers use these when they forget that U bends can be installed at an angle.

From the 2003 IRC. - SECTION P3201

• FIXTURE TRAPS
      • P3201.1 Design of traps. Traps shall be of standard design**,** shall have smooth uniform internal waterways, shall be self-cleaning and shall not have interior partitions except where integral with the fixture. Traps shall be constructed of lead, cast iron, cast or drawn brass or approved plastic. Tubular brass traps shall be not less than No. 20 gage (0.8 mm) thickness. Solid connections, slip joints and couplings are permitted to be used on the trap inlet, trap outlet, or within the trap seal. Slip joints shall be accessible.

The biggest problem with these “flexible” type traps is that they when they change shape they may no longer be self-cleaning. A trap is an “engineered” device that when installed properly minimizes clogging. If you look closely at the trap you can see that it is not an “even-shaped” “U”. This uneveness helps increase the speed of the water through the trap.