Backflows

Could someone explain the purpose of backflows and why some houses have them and others don’t? I suppose they keep contaminated water from making its way back into the water supply but then why are they not found on every property?

understand the links & dates & you’ll have your answer

getting individual munis on board had to occur as the act/code was adopted & enforced

when seen, any documents for install or when the last time inspection/service occurred are as rare as Leprechauns…i advise client of such…ymmv

understand the links & dates & you’ll have your answer

getting individual munis on board had to occur as the act/code was adopted & enforced

when seen, any documents for install or when the last time inspection/service occurred are as rare as Leprechauns

i advise client

If the house has a boiler or irrigation system they are required. They also tried making them required on hose bibs as well. Keeps the contaminates from entering the drinking water.

They are used for sprinklers and hoses because there is a higher potential for the water to backflow. Backflow can occur due to a drop in pressure on the city side. Normally due to city work on water line or water use by fire fighting.

What I want to know is if any HI’s are making money doing the mandatory annual inspections on them (as an ancillary service)?

Around here it would be hard to make any money at doing them as a home inspector. The HVAC / plumbing companies like to perform them while doing the planned service on the HVAC system so they knock the prices down.

Thanks! That’s what I wanted to know.

All homes should have backflow prevention on the hose bibs.