Basement Sump Pump Drain / Virginia

Hi - I am a new member. I live in Loudoun County VA. My home has a full basement and is kept dry by a sump pump. The pump is less than 4 feet from the main house drain and currently is routed up to ground level where it dumps onto my driveway. From there the water flows into the yard.

Simple question: can I route the output of my basement sump pump to the main house sewer drain?

Apologies if this is an old question and thanks for your advice.

Short answer- NO! Storm/ground water should not be introduced into the waste sewer system. Most all jurisdictions prohibit this, although there are a ‘couple’ that may allow it, but very rare.

You sure can’t do that in Ohio…

Which?

can’t dump sump into the sanitary sewer line…but of course you knew that…

:-;;:-;;:-;;

**[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3][FONT=Verdana][size=2]Water from sump pump should be discharged to the exterior of the home and not into the sanitary sewer system. [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

One Reason- [FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3][FONT=Verdana][size=2]The sanitary sewer system is already over burdened with storm water infiltration and all additional ground water must be kept out. [/size][/FONT]
[/size][/FONT]

Well - nuts.

Thanks for the replies. I can see the rationale from a capacity impact POV (although we aren’t talking bath-tub full quantities here) - but I have to say the water coming from under my house has been filtered through clay, rock and sand and is clean - unlike what goes down other drains in my house (esp after chili night :ack!:slight_smile:

This is a great forum - you folks are truly a marvelous find. I will lurk around and pop up to ask more inane questions later. Thanks again for your replies.

Is your sewer bill as outrageously high as mine? Paying to treat water that doesn’t need to be treated constitutes higher bills.

[quote=“Mike_Lester, post:1, topic:57466”]

Hi - I am a new member. I live in Loudoun County VA. My home has a full basement and is kept dry by a sump pump.<----------------------------------------------------------------

Having a sump pump does NOT at all mean a/any basement will be…‘kept DRY’.

Sump pumps can/could control x-amount of water under a basement floor.

They do not,cannot stop water (keep a basement dry) that enters basements through cracks,cracked parging,rod holes etc in basement walls and do not stop water (keep basement dry) that can enter through various openings etc above ground.

Night night.

Basements with sump pump and an inside system…still leak etc
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/BasementWaterproofing32

Sump pump…first 10 pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/101049034584960315932/FoundationCrackLeakyBasement

Even if you were allowed you wouldn’t want to connect it to the sewer drain. You would not have to worry about adding a trap and vent it due to the sewer gasses. Plus if you have a blockage in the sewer drain it would not be affecting your sump pump. Hook it up to a pipe bury it and bring it out closer to the street maybe.

I also live in Loudoun County and we just bought a new home. I noticed the builder piped the sump pump to drain straight up from where the pump is right outside the house (maybe 3 inches away from the wall). Is this allowed or do I have a leg to stand on if I ask them to run additional piping? Seems crazy to not only drain water that close to a house, but to also right above the well area it just emptied. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Can it be routed to a storm water drain?

Paul, you can the builder to extend it, but there is nothing that prohibits him from doing that. This seems typical with many new homes. You can get a sump pump hose extension kit from Hope Depot. Ideally, route it to a STORM water drain as Roy suggests.