Basement Toilet Pump

This is the first time I have seen the pipes for a basement toilet pump. Usually it is hidden behind wall board.

Let me describe the picture.
The blue lines represent the pipes that were not captured by the picture.

The left pipe is the vent stack pipe which bathroom sink connects to and to the left side of the pump.

The horizontal pipe has a wye connector. This connector is for the pump connector on the top right side of the unit.

The red line is the waste line that connects to the main waist/sewer line.

The toilet connects to the back of the pump.

The washer discharge connects to the right side of the pump.

My questions are:
Does inside the pump have check valves to prevent back flow?

Is it ok to have the Washer discharge into the pump? Will the volume of water overwork the pump?

Should the electrical outlet be a GFCI? (it is not)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Josh

Check manufacturer specs…everything looks fine. Should be able to handle water loads but it varies. Yes they have backflows or I think they’re called return valves in a self contained macerator unit like that. I would never plug a poop pump into a GFCI outlet.

Thanks Josh!

Curious, why no GFCI?

The manufacturer will more than likely state that it should be plugged into a GFCI outlet.
Personally, I wouldn’t do it nor would I plug a sump pump, refrigerator, freezer, etc. into a GFCI just because it’s a mechanical device and mechanical devices can fail.
Just a plain ole’ dedicated outlet for me;-)

I 100% agree with Joshua. I don’t know why they didn’t go with a grinder pump in a pit over that little macerator pump? with a toilet, sink and washing machine on it. I trust the professionals know what they’re doing.

Don’t have to dig a hole in concrete for one :wink:

Also, it is a very good idea to install an overflow alarm!

Joshua
Not meaning to pick a fight here but the NEC requires GFCI protection for a reason, if you are worried about failure of the GFCI or accidental tripping recommend a failed circuit alarm.

Thanks Don,
I was curious to the reason why JLF thought a GFCI was not needed.
Any outlet withing 6 feet of water should be GFCI. I drill that into my clients all the time.
As far as a failing GFCI, I’m sure it happens but that is a thing I DO NOT drill into my clients.
They are nervous enough :slight_smile: