Black Pipe half way around house

Is it ok to have black pipe from the gas meter running half way around the exterior of the house to an unvented fireplace in a covered patio? The run has to be 40’ -50’ long, it is fastened nicely and tight to the house, its a clean installation. Just wondering if it proper.

Thanks in advance for the replies, Steve

I don’t know of any problems as long as it’s properly supported, and not anywhere where it can be damager & as long as it’s after the meter. I would like to know what others have to say as I do not know what the codes might say.

There is no code requirement that I am aware of, that does not allow for exposed gas piping.

Gas companies want 'em painted around here.

Schedule 40 or greater iron pipe is permitted on the exterior provideing there is adequate protection from physical damage. Refer to National Fule Gas code.

i’d question the pro. install. and how many unions would have to be monitored for leaks. kids will play on ANYTHING and won’t say squat when they break it.

Sounds okay. I don’t know anyother means of running a pipe from the meter to an outside fireplace.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

This would presumably be covered by the workmanship, physical protections, location, and support, related portions of the NFGC. Properly installed, iron pipe sould withstand just about any abuse a chile can throw at it. If the pipe is installed tight to the building surface, anything short of malicious abuse should be tolerated. Hell, properly installed iron pipe is probably one of the most stalwart component of an average house.

you haven’t met my 8 year old. he’s 95lbs and loves wrestling and ninja turtles. if it can last threw him, then it’s solid.

It sounds like they had a leak in the gas pipe and that the original line ran through the slab.

In a mansion house that I renovated from 1999-2001, I had a gas meter at the top of the driveway with a 230’ driveway down to the house. Both sides of the driveway were lined with 50-year-old pine trees. There was a fireplace in the family room, an outside gas grill on the second-story deck, and a 450,000 BTU pool/spa heater. One day I found those beautiful blue/green irridescent flies near the spa heater, so I knew there was a gas leak around there somewhere and, using soapy water, I eventually found it.

Because of the long run under pine trees and under the slab and in the walls, I got a cost of $27,000 to run a new gas line. Considering that I was renovating for sale, that was not feasable and would have destroyed the symmetry of the landscaping on one side of the driveway because the pine trees would have to be chopped down. Options in my unincorporated area of the county provided for laying the gas pipe on the ground behind the pine trees and covering with 18" of soil, landscape bark, gravel, etc., so that the pipe was the required 18" underground. I installed semi-large boulders and built a mound of soil on them and installed shallw-root plants. When we got down to the house we attached the pipe to the bottom of the siding and ran it over to the pool/spa heater and up to the exterior grill and inside fireplace.

It originally was pretty ugly down at the house, but some good painting and landscaping covered up the ugliness.

If it is securley mounted and protected, should be nothing wrong with it.