Clay tile/terra cotta

Found a main terra cotta/clay tile in a home yesterday. Everything was draining fine, however, I need a good narrative/disclaimer as I know it’s old, notorious for root penetration, and damage/collapse.

Thanks in advance.

January 4, 2008 Garage Built of Structural Clay Tile
On this snowy afternoon, a veteran of many winters withstands one more. It is a garage on the East Side, and it is built of structural clay tiles, a product almost forgotten these days. Shown within the blue box in the picture are some examples of these tiles that someone left stacked outside maybe 80 years ago. Structural clay tiles are big hollow blocks made of fired clay. They were made in Haydenville, down in Hocking County, and at Logan Clay, and the Empire State Building is lined with them. Most were just unglazed red clay, but those meant for the outside of buildings were brown or yellow, with a heavy glaze. Some were embossed with patterns. In Lancaster, you see them in foundation walls, in silos and in the occasional small building. The entire town of Haydenville is built out of them. (Go see it.*). But structural clay tile is increasingly rare in Ohio and structures of glazed tile seem rare outside of our region. The tiles were replaced in most construction by concrete (or “cinder”) blocks, somewhat cheaper and perhaps a bit less fragile when you handle them. Some architectural critics contend structural clay tiles are ugly. But I always look for them: They have a practical, antique elegance that adds character to Lancaster’s old farms and alleyways, and I wish you could still buy them. *Haydenville is off U.S. 33 just north of Nelsonville. There’s an exit. Go see the church.
By Mark Kinsler. Posted at 6:30 AM

Joshua
They can be strong and last a long time but they do crack easy as they are brittle.
Drilling can crack them easily so I would simply report if any cracking is seen ,let they know the nature of the material and emphasize that that there may hidden openings/cracks not visible due to stress or past work performed on the structure.

Couldn’t see much of it. Would you recommend video of the line? Would you be concerned if you and/or family member was buying 1900 house with clay tile?

Not enough info.
The times I have seen it the material was great but the times it had issues were when guys decided to alter it for windows frames etc.

One of my very first jobs was a Condo converted from factory and the workers must have cracked a few before they decided to simply use wedges to hold framing in place.

Lucky me that though I was a newbie I reasoned the windows were all to tight to open and close because the had warped the framing by wedging them to tight.

Got any pictures for those that have never seen terra Cotta of clay tiles in use ? it would help with the conversation and further answers to your question.

Sorry, I guess I didn’t say that this was for the main plumbing drain. The galvanized and cast dumped into main clay drain and had concrete sealing penetration.

Then save above for another day.:slight_smile:

Just rec a Plumber scan it.

There is alot of old homes that I have inspected that have the clay drain tiles yet. Just recommend them to scoped with a sewer camera.