Corrosion on new copper?

So I was doing an inspection specifically for a roof leak that took me into the basement to check the chimney and right away I noticed several No Nos in this 2 year old home. The one I am curious about is the excessive amount of corrosion on the copper lines running to the PEX manifolds. There is quite a bit of green, powdery residue on the pipes. What would cause this? I have seen 30+ year old homes with none of this. I would try to post a pic but just imagine a new house with a lot of green corrosion on the small amount of copper. Bad flux? Bad solder? Just didn’t wipe excess off?

Hi. Steve; This may help shed some light on that subject.

**A Hidden Time Bomb - Corrosion of Piping Systems Causes of Corrosion in a Piping System, Traditional Repair Methods **
**and the Modern System of Pipe Restoration **You can view the rest of the article here;

http://www.hotel-online.com/Neo/News/PressReleases2000_1st/Jan00_TimeBomb.html

Hope this helps a little.

Marcel :):smiley:

Copper can turn green in hours if certain acids come into contact.
if you do not believe me just mix Miracle Grow and water into a paste and brush it on to some copper.
The green may be superficial and black is also no concern in most cases.Just look at any older copper outside the house.

Not saying there for sure is no problem, but it may be nothing.

I have to ask
why would someone come up with this one:D

Instant Antiques… an object with the green “patina” is worth considerably more than a “polished” piece.

I am an artist and the ability to turn copper green came in handy.
Antique look is often preferable when selling rustic art.

Any Chinese drywall in that house??

http://www.canada.com/Health/Toxic+Chinese+drywall+accused+health+problems/1377648/story.html

Probably did not clean off the flux is my guess, but a picture would help

OK i did have to ask
I thought you had slipped into boyhood and where just sitting around thought if i mixed this with that what would it do to copper lol

Sounds like me.
When 5 or 6 I was warming corn starch and blowing it through straws into flames just to see if it made a good torch.

Graduated to building small rockets with Estes engines at 11

A rocket Sceintists turned Home Inspector. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!:mrgreen:

Hmmmmmmm is right
I wonder what I can do with a Hot Water Tank?:stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding of course as next thing I know the FBI will be knocking at my door for being the next Unibomber. haha.

I know, I know, I know, break off that little lever on the top and run a couple of blocks down and no one will know. :mrgreen:

My crazy Uncle said if he ever got mad enough the best way to destroy a building is to pour cement down the plumbing vents.:smiley:

Imagine the expense.

:mrgreen:One crazy Uncle Bob.
But before the expense would be can you imagine the smell?;):slight_smile:

Guess those toilets would not flush like they should.:twisted:

Back when young ,I had a side job in a couple of SRO hotels and all they had were Junkies plus Hookers that would stop up the toilets then wait till the brown was pouring past the top for a month or so before calling me to unplug them.

Had to swat fly’s as soon as I opened the door.

Bob, you sure have quite a history here sofar.
Toilet Engineer to Rocket Scientist to Home Inspector.
What’s next.? ha. ha. :mrgreen:

Marcel I have tried quite a few trades :smiley: and that is what makes a good generalist.

Man, talk about thread drift huh Bob. :slight_smile:

Generalist is a word I learned since I joined this association.

It appears to me from what I can transalate from my French mind, that it means Master of all trades, but master of none. :mrgreen::):wink:

The green on the copper lines is excess flux that was left when the copper joint was soldered.

I figured excess flux as I put in the post. I’ll let the homeowner know to wipe it clean before he puts the house up for sale but I will be reading that article, thanks for the info.