Corrugated Drain

Is this type of corrugated drain acceptable?

Absolutely not. . .

Thanks for confirming, Jeff.

Besides the fact that these “flex pipes” are not approved for drain lines, the one in your picture is actually intended to be a tail piece (vertical), not a trap arm (horizontal).

Improper use of an improper pipe :wink:

Jeff, it begs the question-If they are not approved for drain lines, then why do they even make them? Why make something that can mess up a system? I agree with you, I didn’t like it when I saw it.

Jeff, where is it stated that it’s “not approved”? Maybe I need to strengthen my report comment.

All I’ve ever said about them (if installed as a tailpiece) is this: “The LOCATION sink employs an unconventional, flexible, corrugated drainpipe that could contribute to blockages and we do not endorse it.”

Manufacturers make these as universal drain lines. Homeowners purchase these POS because they refuse to spend their hard earned money on a professional installation by a licensed Plumber.

Homeowners all have one thought in mind…Why waste my money on a Plumber or even measure, cut and glue a smooth walled PVC waste line when I can purchase a flexible waste line that will easily install in minutes and only set me back a few dollars. Leak fixed.

Drain/waste lines are not allowed to be corrugated. They must have smooth wall interior, which is why I said “not approved.” I’m headed out this morning, so I don’t have time to look up the exact code-language.

Here is how I write it;

From the California Plumbing Code and UPC;

[FONT=Arial][size=2]PART I – DRAINAGE SYSTEMS[/size][/FONT]

[size=2][FONT=Arial]701.0 Materials[/FONT][/size]

**[size=2][FONT=Arial]701.1 **[/FONT][/size][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Drainage piping shall be cast iron, galvanized [/size][/FONT][size=2][FONT=Times New Roman]steel, galvanized wrought iron, lead, copper, brass, Schedule 40 ABS DWV, Schedule 40 PVC DWV, extra strength vitrified clay pipe, or other approved materials having a smooth and uniform bore (continued)[/size][/FONT]

Not allowed in Illinois plumbing code.

There are plenty of materials that are sold which are not allowed.

Romex is sold in the Chicago area when it is not approved.
PVC TPR piping.
Flex drain pipes.
Mini-Breakers (takes up one panel slot, but has two breakers) not allowed in Chicago, but sold.
Exposed bulb light fixtures.
Foil or vinyl clothes dryer vent tubes. In fact, the two largest appliance retailers, around here, always install the dryers with these vent tubes).

Never underestimate the stupidity of the uninformed public, nor the greed of home improvment store owners.

Thanks guys for the code quote.

Will, what took you so long to post? :slight_smile:

I have been busy doing inspections, writing reports, preparing CE classes and dealing with my youngest, who started drivers ed.

Be afraid! Be VERY afraid! :shock:

I am staying off the road!! :wink: