Well crack

When ever there is a well and septic system at house I always tell my clients that well and septic inspectors are separately licensed and regulated and that they will need a separate inspection. That doesn’t stop by curiosity though.

What are some reasons why the septic alarm would be going of?

Is this a crack a problem?

I just wanted to give a shout out to Troy Pappas for answering my question about the alarm while I was at the inspection. Thanks man!

Usually a septic alarm is the result of a “high-water event,” meaning, the pump system is failing or can’t keep up with the influx of water/waste.

The crack in that well housing is only an issue if the water level is up there, which is usually not the case.

Thanks Jeff!!

Well casing in this State are all steel, concrete is used for hand dug wells which are few these days.
What kind of well casing was that?
Oops, thought that was a well casing.
:slight_smile:

I have no idea. I make my clients very aware that I know only the basics of well and septic systems and that they will need a separate inspection. I actually make my clients well aware of all limitations involved with my inspection.

Juan, edited my post above, thought your picture was a well casing.

I guess that was a septic tank access? :slight_smile:

Yes it was the riser. There was another tank access as well. It was level with the ground and had a green lid. I hadn’t seen one like that before. They are always like the ones in the photo that I posted. I haven’t done many inspections with private waste systems though.

I don’t do well and septic inspections either.

Too much involvement to do it right. :slight_smile:

Agreed

Below is what I would have reported in this situation.
· For The Record: Well cover and gaps at tiles (surface/shallow well) should be sealed for the first eight feet to prevent surface water from entering. Water should be encouraged to filter through the ground before entering well to remove contaminants.

You reports say “for the record”?

I disclaim well and septic’s in my reports but will provide information like for example vermiculite in attic. For The Record is one of the conventions I use in my reports.
**For The Record: **Represents educational-type comments meant to help the client better understand how things work within the home. It may also be used to warn the client about potential problems, or inform the client of certain inspection limitations. Typically, no action is required.

Juan,
If there is a tank alarm it must be for a pump station. Pump stations are used to pump the effluent up to the EDA (effluent disposal area).
These types of systems are used when gravity fed systems wont work, usually because it’s a raised bed due to the water table or the effluent is pumped to a different location.
It sounds like in your case the green cover is the treatment tank access and I assume the tank in your picture is the pump station.

As waste leaves the house it goes to the treatment tank where the solids settle to the bottom. As the effluent level rises in the treatment tank it is gravity fed to the pump station, most residential stations are 500 gallons. The pump inside the station will activate once the float reaches a certain level. Many time this is determined by the designer. This is determined so the EDA receives a certain number of doses per day such as 200 or even 300 gallons per dose.

As Jeff pointed out, if the alarm is sounding, it’s because the float is either stuck or effluent is not leaving the pump station. This could be due to a failed pump, a clog somewhere or a saturated EDA that will no longer drain.

Hope this helps.

That does help! Thanks Pete!

That’s not a well casing. It’s a well cover. The crack is not a concern. This one isn’t “water proof” either.

http://www.virtualrocks.com/images/WHC300.jpg

Well now I am really confused…I thought it was the tank riser?

You were there Juan, so tell us. Was it a well casing/housing/cover or a septic riser? I know we don’t generally inspect them, but the smell should have given it away :smiley:

If it was anywhere near the septic system, it had better not be a well cover or casing. A water well near the poop tank would certainly be comment worthy:shock:

Juan: As others have already mentioned the alarm can be due to the primary high water float switch not working or the pump not keeping up with the influx of water. I always check the float switches with a hook when I do aerobic system inspections.

Another possible cause, depending on the type of system, is a failed aerator compressor. On an aerobic system, the aerator needs to run 24x7 or the tank will go anaerobic.

Was this an aerobic system with effluent discharge via spray heads?

One thing I would suggest to anyone who encounters a septic system with plastic portal covers is to look at them and make sure that they are screwed down securely. Do this whether you inspect the septic system or not. There have been numerous tragic instances of children falling into septic tanks and drowning simply by stepping on top of a tank lid that was not secure. septic lid child drown - Google Search

Thanks Chuck. When I have some time I’ll finish the NACHI septic course to find out what those terms mean.

Were there purple sprinklers in the yard?