Discharge Pipe Question

Are (2) 90’s allowed ?

The aren’t disallowed by the IRC. OK with me.

Thanks Joe

Jim

I have seen tpr valves fail and leak. You could possibly be filling your septic system and wasting water without knowing it.

Why wouldn’t you know it in this case? It discharges into an indirect waste receptor in the same room as the WH, just like the code requires.

Because when some valve springs get weak, they may not leak constantly, if you are there to witness it you’re ok.

You get yourself in hot water when you start making up your own codes. This system meets today’s standards.

I’ve seen many WHs in attics that discharge into an indirect waste receptor there. That’s allowed too. Not the best design, but allowed.

You are right.

Very True joe. I was only thrown at seeing (2) 90’s there and wanted to be sure before I said something wrong in my report. Didn’t say a word at the inspection, wanted to double check first.

Jim

You can up to 4 90’s.

Where is that limit in the code?

Is that a PVC fitting that is screwed into the TPRV ?

Looks like CPVC on my monitor and that is fine.

CPVC :wink:

Jim

I try to follow standards since I don’t do code inspections. The manufacture of the T&P has it stated here. Plumbing & Flow Control Solutions

A good reference. Thanks.

Has anyone observed first hand what happens to that indirect drain when 210 degree water from a lifting T & P valve hits standard PVC schedule 40 it melts it like butter PVC schedule 40 is not rated for that temp. IMHO it is pure stupidity to discharge into a line that is going to melt especially if it drains into a wall or slab foundation:shock::shock:

I have seen AHJ’s that allow that set up and others that don’t just depends on their intelligent level;-):wink:

No, it depends on whether they enforce the code or make up their own rules. There is no code that prohibits PVC from being the waste receptor for a TPRV.

P.S. The proper word is “intelligence” not “intelligent”. :wink:

I did not say anything about code I said have you seen the results of PVC drain lines and 210 degree water sometimes common sense should override codes. You are not allowed a PVC downspout but you can discharge into a PVC drain makes no sense to me and I put that in my reports;-):wink:

I’ll have to say I was shocked by your post after I validated that PVC does indeed melt at < 200 degrees. Indeed, it makes no sense to allow that. I’ve never thought about it before. Hopefully the code folks will think about it someday. Till then, I’m not rocking that boat.