Dishwasher without air gap

This dishwasher does not have a counter top air gap device, is it correctly plumbed? (sorry I could not rotate the last to photos to show upright)

It needs an air gap or a high loop.

You both are right. I didn’t see 1 either.

The high loop would of course be the easier method if your AHJ allows it…

Depends upon your jurisdiction also. Some areas, SoCal, require the countertop air gap. Some are okay with the high loop. Where are you located?

Left click his name. It gives several more left click options. :slight_smile:

How old was the DW? Some newer models have them incorporated and may not require an external AG or HL.

So Mike is in SoCal. In that case you need a countertop vent. Easier if he just put his location in his profile.

Guys,

Can you see in my photo the black hose coming from the garbage disposal? It travels downward and into the next cabinet to the left I could not see where it terminated. Could that be be the ‘high loop’ going downward? (this home is in Norwalk Calif (LA)

You can’t see it if it is, so what do you report? Report what you see. A high loop is not acceptable in SoCal.

The CA Code is written in a manner that prohibits any method other than an air gap, installed above the flood level of the sink.

There may be jurisdictions that don’t enforce the rule, but the CA Code is clear:

414.3 Drainage Connection. Domestic dishwashing machines shall discharge indirectly through an air gap fitting in accordance with Section 807.4 into a waste receptor, a wye branch fitting on the tailpiece of a kitchen sink, or dishwasher connection of a food waste grinder.

807.4 Domestic Dishwashing Machine. No domestic dishwashing machine shall be directly connected to a drainage system or food waste disposer without the use of an approved dishwasher air gap fitting on the discharge side of the dishwashing machine. Listed air gaps shall be installed with the flood-level (FL) marking at or above the flood level of the sink or drainboard, whichever is higher.

Thank you guys very much!

No, look at the diagram Michael provided…

But, we are not code inspectors, so, even though it’s not acceptable per code in California, if the dishwasher did have a high loop acceptable by manufacturer standards, would you say anything in your report?

I always call it out.

Although we are not “code inspectors,” our inspections are based on codes. Without them, we have no guidelines to be making calls for corrections or repairs.

I have never had a problem stating in my reports that something is a “required” component. Air gaps in CA are a “required” component, and that’s what I report.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Btw a lot of dishwashers have high loops built in now but we can’t see them of course.

So if you can’t see it, and you don’t have the manufacturer documentation, what do you report?

I’m with you Mr Pope, I call it out every time

“The dishwasher was not equipped with an air gap fitting pipe. This device will assist with proper drainage of water from dishwasher. An air gap fitting is designed to prevent contaminated drain water from the sink backing up into the dishwasher, possibly contaminating dishes. Recommend installation of an air gap by a qualified plumber.”

The dishwasher drain hose did not have a visible high-loop to help create a trap under the sink or had an anti-siphon device installed in the drain line. High-loops and/or anti-siphon devices are used to help prevent wastewater from the dishwasher from being siphoned back into the dishwasher and contaminating its contents.