Don't Miss this Defect

Are you guys missing this?
Don’t Miss this Defect During a Home Inspection

sneaky…

Did you click on the link? I thought it was very informational. It’s something I did not look for my first couple of months as an inspector.

Only thing I’m missing is Christmas party prizes while I read your blog. Stop distracting me! :slight_smile:

A sediment trap is not required by our local gas provider.
Your are may be different.

My goal here isn’t distraction.

EH, I would not be so quick to ignore it based on local codes. Most manufacturers require it. As the article alludes to, it may not be the biggest deal, but it will void a warranty if not installed. Even a 1 year warranty company can deny a claim if it is not installed.

I always point them out, not necessarily as a defect, but I do recommend them. They are better known around these parts as the “drip leg”.

Now let’s WIN some stuff!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Good one thanks many will learn from this for the reminder Juan much appreciated

You are correct, with gas being as clean as it is, it isn’t really a major concern. However, I also report the lack of a sediment trap due to the fact that most manufacturers require them. A drip leg, as I understand it, serves a different purpose–to catch moisture in wet gas.

Nice.

No long story, to the point, a couple of pictures and very specific to the topic. bada bing, bada boom

[QUOTE=jjimenez;1121735 Even a 1 year warranty company can deny a claim if it is not installed.[/QUOTE]

1 year warranties find lots of ways to deny lots of claims. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not required here, never heard anyne having a problem getting a warranty on a item . Why you ask because local tech fix it .
And yes i knew about traps when most where in undies .

They can be installed separately with a drip leg being near the meter in such a way that water collecting would block the gas, effectively shutting it down. Gas pressure is very low so most water won’t make it to fixtures if there is any upward slope at all. In the case of the photo in your blog, it is technically both a drip leg(aka Drip Tee) and a sediment trap because both would be collected.

“Sediment trap” and “drip leg” are interchangeable terms used to describe the same component. Another (less common) term is “dirt leg.”

CA is one of those states where they are not required by building standards. As a result, I often find them improperly installed on gas-piping for appliances.

http://www.waterheaterexplosions.com/R_Drip_Leg.html:):wink:

Exactly

From the other guys article…
VOIDED WARRANTY: There are some inspectors who are spreading the concept that manufacturers will void their warranty is the drip leg/sediment trap is NOT installed. I suppose it is possible, but so far this is a myth, a home inspector’s urban legend, if you will. I have yet to substantiate any occurrence of this happening. If you have specific details, then please send along the information.

Before you go around spouting off that it will void warranties, you may want to have that info handy to back up the statement. :smiley: Its loving feedback Juan that all. I think the Levitt guy has a few inspectons on both of us.

Despite our difference of opinion on the warranty we both agree on the primary issues his summary is the following.

IN SUMMARY - So there is the answer we were seeking. A drip leg is never incorporated into the water heater, but is an auxiliary feature installed into the gas line. They are easily identified and always required on gas-fired water heaters, furnaces, and boilers. There is no excuse for NOT reporting their presence or lack thereof.

I don’t get why his title says: “Water Heater Explosions - Drip Legs”. There’s nothing in the article about an explosion.