Drip leg on gas supply line

Has anyone heard of any change regarding the drip leg required for the natural gas supply attachment to an appliance such as a boiler, furnace or water heater?
:shock:A builder insisted that it was recently changed and no drip leg is required/needed.

Some areas do not require it .
We just had a thread on this subject.

Common sense says it is a good idea though.

Go here…http://www.nachi.org/forum/f20/drip-leg-question-43738/

I believe the appliance installation instructions would also be a good source to check on this. some manufacturers require one

Check with your utility company.

This was a recent topic that caused me to do some research. I’ve gone over more than 50 different installation guides (for water heaters and furnaces) to see if I could get a consensus from the manufacturers as to their requirements.

Indeed, there are many manufacturers that require drip legs on their appliances. As it turns out, there are just as many that make no mention of drip legs or sediment traps in their installation instructions. There are also those that defer to local codes, and others that state there “should” be a drip leg/sediment trap.

As such, I have changed my reporting and will recommend these as an “upgrade,” unless I know for a fact that it is required by the manufacturer.

20091021_09_01.JPG

What does the IRC say.

From 2003 IRC Section G2419 (408)

G2419.2 (408.2) Drips
G2419.3 (408.3) Location of Drips
G2419.4 (408.4) Sediment traps

They are required.

Chuck