Galvanized pipe for water heater

This home I inspected today was built in 2004. The home has pecans plumbing throughout the home except at the water heater. I found galvanized pipe coming out of the water heater (abt a foot)and then connected to pet before going into the wall. Mind you the water volume is about 50% of that of the cold water. Thoughts?

my thought
when you & your not so smart device can structure a factual & intelligible sentence & question you may get some accurate replies

I was contemplating concocting a similar thought, as asked for, but will just say thank you, BA. :smiley:

“Pecan Plumbing” is the best for higher end homes…except for the rodents. :shock:

Come on Mr. Inspector, you can communicate better than that. :roll:

I was typing fast on an iPhone and didn’t proofread what I typed. Shoot me. Now back to the question.

I understand that PEX plumbing is newer and for high end homes. I was asking about the low water volume in relation to the galvanized pipe out of the water heater inlet and outlet. I meant PEX, not pecan, grow up. Acting like smart *** kids over a over a typo. Help or hurt? Pick one.

14 years is more than long enough to clog a galvanized pipe in a hard water area. Most likely why the reduced water pressure on the hot side only. Don’t know what affect it has on pecan piping.

Oh I see you all have pecan piping jokes. Well, I called it out to have it looked at. It didn’t make sense to me why they would even install it that way on a newer home. I was basically just curious for myself. Thanks.

Invest in a Code book.

I got rid of the galvanized pipes in my home but decided to put in walnut plumbing as it lasts longer than pecan.

PEX is NOT newer. Been around for decades.

The galvanized pipes are merely connectors and a support for the expansion tank on the cold water side. 50% drop is highly unlikely with a home that age. Where was that measured? At a tub faucet it could be the in valve filter, or there could be a mixing valve in one of the cabinets, or the cold water valve is not fully open on top of the tank. Too many possibilities for the little information given.

1 Like

What happens to galvanized piping will also depend on what is in the local water, no one would dream of using it where I am for a newer house, or an old one for that matter, did that back in the 1950’s and it did not end well. If I was the OP I would ask a local plumbers opinion, not this forum.

Now that is funny …LOL!

Steve wouldn’t mahogany last longer??? :D:D LMAO…Yep!

You mean “wooden” mahogany last longer, right?"

To the OP: I bridle at the pedantry that all-to-often affects responses on this forum, but I honestly could not make sense of your post. My hat is off to those who could and have offered helpful (and humorous) responses.

Depending on the style of water heater, and the preference for water pressure, this may be a non-issue. Continuous Flow or Instantaneous (tankless) water heaters have a minimum required flow rate which is often not reached with old galvanised pipe. This, combined with rust in the line is often problematic for continuous flow water heaters. Storage Heaters, on the other hand, are generally ok and seldom have problems with gal pipework.

What is your source for this information? Link would be appreciated.