Gas fireplace shut off

Hi all,

what’s your thoughts on a builder installed gas fireplace with no local in line gas shut off? The pilot/on/off valve is present at the unit, but the only in line valve was in the basement. I usually see both an in line valve and the pilot valve behind the access panel with primary valve in the basement.

Thanks and keep safe.

Mark Ellison
Brampton, On

Mark, as far as I know you need an assessable shut off within 6 feet of the appliance

IRC says exactly that. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I asked my county building inspector about that and they consider it acceptable if the unit’s turn off is at the front of the unit. No shut off outside the firebox is required. If I see it in a regular home inspection, I recommend that they have one installed as a safety upgrade after they take possession of the property. If I see it in a course of construction inspection, I recommend that they bring it to their builder’s attention to have it done.

The important thing with all these questions is that local officials can override any published building codes.

It is best to develop a relationship with them. It demonstrates to them your commitment to your business and your respect for them. My municipal inspectors hate it when they get calls from people saying that “my home inspector says…” As a result of good relations with my local building department, I find that if asked for a home inspector referral, they always recommend me. What better referral can there be?

We are not code officials, they are. I feel it is a disservice to ourselves to ask each other these questions. We are not qualified to answer them.

So what does Brampton, Ontario fuel gas code state?

That’s the only answer that means anything here…:roll:

It might be the only answer for YOU, but not HERE.

We do not enforce building code (if you haven’t figured that out yet).
We do not have enforcement powers (as I was once informed by a smart a$$ builder, like yourself).

However the clients power to tear up the check at close of escrow is all the enforcement power needed. If the client wants a shutoff valve inside the house within reach of the appliance it will be put in, or they can go find a builder that is willing to put one in.