Gas Main Vent Plug

I write up these plugs as “need to be removed.” The home owner said that the utility company placed it. Anyone with any experience with these?

Why will you recommend removal

The diaphram is designed to vent if/when the gas pressure from the utility company gets too high.

I recommend removal for proper operation of the vent and diaphram.

Jeff,

That picture does not look like your typical venting diaphram. The typical diaphram is directed toward the bottom of the regulator.

Is there a Zinsco in the home?

As a matter of fact, there was. . .

This is a standard diaphram for CA but it was turned sideways. That could be part of the reason I guess. . .

Santa Zinsco Clarita

Gas Backwards, CA. 91355

](*,)

I believe the plug is a limited leak type to allow the diaphragm movement to vent via a small orifice but restrict the amount of gas that would pass in the event of a ruptured diaphragm.

This was my initial thought as well Dean, however, this was a solid plug with no orifice. Also, to my knowledge, there is no requirement for limiters on outdoor installations, only indoor installations of diaphrams & vents.

Have you heard otherwise?

Dale - 91355 is Valencia. Part of SC, but I live in the nine-oh (9-0), in the hills of Santa Clarita :wink: (91390)

Hey Jeff;

Is Santa Clarita an incorporated city now? I went to Hart High in the 70’s… When I lived off Lyons Avenue, there were the Cities of Newhall, Valencia, Saugus and Canyon Country was just getting started. Saugus Speedway and the old drive-in were the only things near the river/wash area extending over to Magic Mountain, which had just been completed.

Gotta love the old days…

Well it was a pretty good seven hundred mile guess…and don’t go to mapquest to straighten me out on that one.

By the way Jeff, did you ever ask a fire marshall, captain, or anyone affiliated with electrical fire stats in your area…regarding…:-;;

I love the smell of a hot Zinsco in the morning. Especially knowing my gas vent is also screwed-up.

SC incorporated in 1987 to include Canyon Country, Valencia, Newhall and Saugus. A new developement of multi-million dollar homes has been growing in an area called Westridge (near Stevensons Ranch).

I never did follow up on the fire thing. I’ll get that on my adgenda for '06. :cool:

SC incorporated in 1987 to include Canyon Country, Valencia, Newhall and Saugus. A new developement of multi-million dollar homes has been growing in an area called Westridge (near Stevensons Ranch).

I never did follow up on the fire thing. I get that on my adgenda for '06.

No I haven’t Jeff but we do know that the PRV must have a vent in order to maintain the proper gas pressure entering the building so you’re correct in removing a solid plug because the regulator wouldn’t work if the vent were plugged.

We also know that spiders and other insects build nest in an open vent and plug it, stopping the flow of gas into the building so maybe it’s put there to keep out insects and it leaks enough around the threads to act as a vent if there is no tiny orifice in it.

Thanks for the replies Dean. I guess I’ll be placing a call to the utility company. . .

Good idea

Nice post Jeff