Gas supply lines

O.K. Show of hands.:slight_smile:
Scenario… Copper gas supply line passes through block wall, no insulating sleeve.
I know many of the Northerner’s do not allow soft copper for gas, but for all others, how many of the HI’s would write it up and why?
</IMG>

Piping needs to be protected from physical damage.

I concur…

The chemical makeup of mortar products attack copper

That’s funny…we protect all of our (soft copper) oil lines with a coating of mortar here in Massachusetts.

Please tell me more…

We used to be able to do that up here, countless installations of soft copper buried in the basement concrete floor. But Charlie is right, the lines will corrode and leak over time. We are not allowed to install this way any more, all lines must be above ground.

Hmmm…We still do it everyday on new construction.

Must be a location thing.

Is the line protected in any way? If not this is bound to happen:

http://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/kathyguerin/images/seq3a.png

Note the leak in line at mid point.

Like I already stated, we cover every oil line with a complete coat of mortar.

That is right Charlie, the lime in any and all masonry reacts with copper and causes little pins holes (sometimes in wall cavities). Get the right fuel to air mixture, unplug the vacuum and then :shock:! So for those of you who have jurisdictions that allow this, please write it up.:slight_smile: </IMG></IMG>

Is There A Problem With Embedding Copper Tube In Concrete?

Any type of pretective sleeve where in contact with concrete, brick, block et cetera will be sufficient, at least in this neck of the woods.:wink:

Thanks Mike.

David,

You’re welcome. It’s a great site for all things copper.

Interesting, but I have seen them after the leaking has occured. As with buried oil tanks, it is a huge cost to clean up.

http://members.aol.com/crushstone/cor_aclz.htm

**CORROSION OF NONFERROUS METALS IN CONTACT WITH CONCRETE OR MORTAR **

Copper (Cu)

Copper embedded in concrete and/or mortar is usually roof flashing. Embedded copper is practically immune to reaction with corrosive alkalies, even if exposed to constant moisture. Copper will not react with dry, hardened concrete and/or mortar. Rainwater leaching, however, may bring chlorides in contact with the metal. Corrosion may occur and result in a green discoloration or runoff. Consequently, chloride admixtures should not be used in concrete if contact with copper is expected.

I’ve inspected hundreds of copper oil lines (buried in mortar) and I have never seen a single line leak due to mortar surroundings.

Usually when a deteriorated oil tank is replaced, the plumbers abandon the existing line and install another brand new mortar protected copper line.

There you go again Mike messing with my mind. I was taught as a pup in this state and was a intergal part of new construction to sleeve all copper in the flat plastic sleeves at the pentrations and have observed the long term effect of not being sleeved. Do I flag this on an inspection no, see to many without sleeves. Thanks for the link all we have to do is to keep you on the job.

We must have more corrosive concrete up here :slight_smile:

Charley. I think sleeving makes sense too especially through block or poured walls where settling can occur. Not so much a corrosion issue as a mechanical damage issue for me.