Hot water toilet

Just did a brand new manufactured home. The hallway bathroom has a hot water toilet. Now that cuts the cake. Hot water supply to the toilet.

Actually that is quite common (and not only on the toilets) for two reasons. First, the plumber screwed up and swithed the lines to the toilet. Second, it was installed by some one in south america - C-means not to them and H-means cold.

It was semi-popular in the 60’s and 70’s to supply the toilet via a mixing valve. The idea was to reduce tank condensation.

Mixing valves were popular when water supply was from a well and still is.

Now with the new insulated tanks, that has solve the problem with condensation, but tankless toilets still need a mixing valve to control condensation.
City water is not much of a problem and all depends how much piping from the toilet to the underground source where the temperature difference is and the cause of water condensation.
Basic home science.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Home is on a well and the water in the toilet tank was steaming when I removed the lid.

Ahhh, I think that would feel good after 10 hours of work. ha. ha.

Hot and Cold reversed or water mixing valve is off course or defective.

Marcel :slight_smile: :wink:

Be sure to comment in your report that the valve assembly inside the toliet tank is probably not suitable for hot water applications and should be replaced at the same time the water connection is corrected.

If the plastic valve breaks or starts to leak, the water will continue to overflow into the drain wasting all that nice hot water.

Maybe the manufactured home has the Alaska package? :slight_smile:

I put this disclaimer in every report: “We do not inspect toilet supply plumbing to ensure they are provided with cold, and not hot, water.”

Pot of gumbo?
Stu

I’ve seen that before.

I imagine that it would be quite an experience sitting on a hot steamy bowl on a cold winter morning.

I bet it’s not only the pipes that sweat.

It’s the hot water bidet they have to watch out for.

I’d hate for that steamin’ water to “splash” back on a sit down. :mrgreen:

When you see this at a “single supply” fixture, check for hot water at places like hose bibs, ice-makers and toilets. The hot and cold supplies of the entire structure may originally have been installed reversed, and when the plumber “corrects this at the source” they don’t always remember to re-plumb everything on the “cold” water side, especially single-supply fixtures.

In addition IF anyone ever sees steam coming from a water closet or any other cold water supply, best get the heck out of the house ASAP and have the gas meter or electricity shut off (depending on which applies to the water heater).

Long story (sorry)
Back in 1965 a lady was cleaning house getting ready to move into it and when she flushed the toilet steam came into it.
She phoned he husband at his work and he said “I don’t know why but you better get out”.
About an hour or so later the water heater rocketed up through the roof and landed in a baseball field about a block down the road.

On it’s way up it went through a cast iron lavatory breaking it in pieces, through floor joists and ceiling joists and the roof.

The whole house was raised up off it’s foundation and moved over somewhat as well as a couple of the walls being totally blown out.

My boss at the time and the local fire chief spent a couple of days collecting plumbing pieces and reconstructing them to find the cause.

As it turned out, what happened was:
First of all there was NO Temperature-pressure safety valve OR gas line drip leg installed.

The gas line used for the install was soft copper which had caused those black copper flakes to build up and hold the thermostat open causing a “run away” water heater.

When the lady flushed the toilet, the plastic dip tube being over heated was like a piece of soft spaghetti and the pressure in the tank being very high forced the dip tube up into the cold water inlet to the tank creating a solid plastic plug AND since all faucets were shut off, a closed vessel also.

At the time I had no idea that a steam explosion could possibly do that much damage.

Now, I could kick myself for not getting pictures but that was before the days of digital cameras.

Anyway “STEAM” from any cold water fixture CAN mean DANGER.

I believe that is the new Sheryl Crow series toilet. Hot water on tap for washing of the nether regions to help facilitate the use of only a single sheet of T.P.

The deluxe model comes with a wall mounted blow dryer only you have to be able to grab your ankles during use.

P.S. Do not operate while under the influence of alcohol or other controlled substances as the chances of doing a header into the bathroom floor are greatly increased.

How much copper was being used in 1965 and do you feel a drip leg would have made a difference?